8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » High temperatur does not trigger VS! (or..?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High temperatur does not trigger VS! (or..?)
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 27, 2006 06:26 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is only a thought and is meant for our discourse only.

It has been long discused that high temperature will trigger VS. But for my last experience it did not seem so.

As you may have known, I have just moved from Fiji to Indonesia and had shipped all my stuff in a 20-feet container. This was the only way that I could do and was really worried that all my 8mm would get destroyead as the result.

But (luckily) after 2 months travel from Fiji to Indonesia (which both countries are humid and hot), those 8mm films arrived savely and none of them were effected by VS!.

When I was in Fiji, I once entered the container to upload somemore stuffs and the temperature inside was unbelievable which could be more than 45 degrees CELCIUS!. I could not stay inside it for more than a minute.

Container self was made from metal and I could imagine that was the condition found in a metal film container.

So, from my experience do you agree that high temperature did not trigger the VS but more to the chemical or the Lab process.

I had two same films from the same company and were placed in the same room and both were stored in the cardboard cases. One was effected by VS but the other one was not. They might came from a different batch process.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2006 03:03 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the answer is as simple as one thing or another. Films that develop VS do so over a long period of time and generally have been stored improperly including temp. humidity, not allowed to breathe (let gases escape) and also probably some aspect of original processing and film manufacture.

What does seem to hold, the process is infectious. One bad reel can infect others stored with it in a closed container. The process does not seem to be stoppable but can be slowed down.

Most films that have developed the problem have been in bad storage conditions for many years, not months.

In your example, if you'd had anything on the edge of turning, it might have been triggered by the move if the films were in sealed metal cans. Luckily you didn't.

There are just too many conditions over too long a period of time to be able to draw a safe conclusion--but what seems to work is low humidity, low temp and allowing air to circulate around the film. That's what the major studios are doing with their vaults now.

John

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC