8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Small Format Magazine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Small Format Magazine
David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2006 03:13 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone received the new addition yet,as i believe it was due out a couple of weeks ago? It seems ages since i sent off my euros,so some news would be nice.
David R

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 15, 2006 04:12 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The second issue, with the airplane projectors, right? I'm still waiting for mine - but then, I DO live in the United States and it takes longer via surface mail anyhow. Could've subscribed via air mail but was too cheap to do so. [Big Grin]

(Just tried to find out the current issue's street date but have been unable to do so)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2006 03:39 PM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
issue 1/2006 was shipped a week ago. euopean receivers should get it within the next days, overseas need 4-5 weeks...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2006 03:05 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just received it. Wonderful.

Great to see a half page colour advertisement from Derann.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 18, 2006 04:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Superb is all I can say. The item about the Airline projectors makes really great reading as it follows the complete history and certainly told me things about Airline projection which I didnt know. The item about Single 8 and the Fuji processing lab a worth a read too. I am going to get my Fuji single 8 camera out again now and stock up with some film for summer especially as the film stocks can be striped before leaving the lab.

Great all round read [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2006 04:14 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive received my copy now and agree,well worth the wait.I too thought the single 8 item very interesting,it seems the continuation of single 8 processing is more or less down to one man,and he does it on Wednesdays!
Another point,Fuji continue supporting their guage with 14000 films being processed a year,compared to Kodak giving up on super 8 K40 with 100000 films still being used.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 21, 2006 04:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like David, I've been quite impressed with the Fuji/single 8 article. The airline piece was a bit of old news as it's already included in Juergen's book about projectors.
Hats off to the gentleman who dedicated half of his lifetime shooting a Perry Rhodan movie on regular 8.
I've confirmed and paid my subscription. Let's hope there will be articles about package movies and the companies behind them.
I'm also looking forward to reading John Clancy's article about the BFCC history in the next issue.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2006 05:18 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single8-news:

a) bad news: Andec has stopped selling single8-film (I bought the remaining R25N, they still might have some RT200N). And they don't forward films to Fuji anymore [Frown]
b) good news: http://www.gkfilm.de/ is selling the Cinevia in Single8, too: Price is 27,50 EUR INCLUDING PROCESSING (prices for "outside Germany" might be higher) [Wink]

Some comments about the cinevia:
It's only 12,0 or 12,5 meters per "15m-cartridge". But as a positive side-effect you can stripe that film at home, wet splice it and mix it with other non-polyester-films (e.g. the RetroX-b&w-Single8-film and most Super8-films).

But be warned that the cartridge doesn't work in all cameras due to the fact that
  • single8-cartridges do have more than one place to tell the film's ASA-rating. And GK/Retro hasn't changed all of these nodges/holes/... . Hence some single8-cameras will think that the cinevia-cartridges contain 25ASA-film: "Fujica AX100, C100, Elmo 8S800 and Elmo 8S600 (according to retro - maybe there are some more models affected) cannot read ASA 50 from the cartridge automatically. The Elmo models can be corrected at the light meter. The Fuji AX100 and C100 do not have this possibility. If you use this new film inside these models, the exposure will be wrong."
  • some cameras do have problems with the thicker material. This doesn't doesn't depent on the model, but on each individual camera. E.g. there are some few Z800/ZC1000 where the b&w-film doesn't get transported and where the cinevia will most likely stuck, too. The only cameras that should work in every case are the first Fujica P1s - the ones with the small red dot at approx. 12m on the "remaining meter" for the Agfa/Sakura-Single8-films.

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2006 07:54 AM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i too have read the article on Fuji, in the text i see Fuji will honour processing 5 years after the last manufacturing date of a film!! Kodak take note. When kodak discontinued processed paid 16mm kodachrome 40 in March 2006, all they gave there customers is 3 months. I have 16mm k40 with an exp date of 9/2006, that allows only 3 months before the lab closes to all cine processing.

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2006 02:04 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments. Here are some topics of issue 2/2006:

Trevor Markwart about "Digital Film Transfers"
Juergen Lossau about the new film-scanner "flashscan 8"
John Clancy about the "British Film Collectors Convention"
Gerhard Fromm about "Arri cameras for the 9.5mm format"
Friedemann Wachsmuth about "Processing Super 8 at home"
A list about "Winners and Losers" - The ASA/ISO settings of new films render many cameras useless

www.smallformat.de

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 22, 2006 10:40 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juergen,

still waiting for my issue to arrive - I think I would like to switch from economy shipping to air mail beginning with the third issue after all. [Smile] Since you're sending me a bill with the current issue, can I just pay the extra amount for airmail shipping and have that started with the next issue? How much extra is it? Thanks [Smile]

--------------------

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2006 12:54 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to send you a private mail but this was returned. Please contact paesold@schiele-schoen.de

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 23, 2006 01:08 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn.... Can you resend it to daimon@novasearch.net please...

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC