8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » cement joins/gs1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cement joins/gs1200
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2006 03:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi there everyone i was just wondering if elmo ever got that promblem fixed with the gs1200.i know that the first version hated cement splices.but what about versions two and three;as well as the xenon one.i know that movie maker(march 1980) stated the will be looking into this via elmo in japan.so when two,three and xenon came out was that little glicth sorted.andy.

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 16, 2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard about this one. What kind of problem does the GS1200 have with cement splices? (Assuming they're well done, that is)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2006 03:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
according to reports four of the five used to break.dont forget that was the oringial 1970s machine.it was unkind to cement joins in the lower loop and sound section.CZ scientific insruments ltd were the uk distribers at that time.thats why i asked about versions two and three plus the xenon.i would like to think it was sorted out by then.andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2006 08:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
ive stomped ya all on this one.andy

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 17, 2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, just me. The others have yet to even say anything. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 18, 2006 03:59 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might say something if I can find a film with a cement splice in it! [Big Grin]

I wonder if this was the reason why the backwards loop was introduced after the first version?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 18, 2006 04:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
The film path for the Original Ver1 GS and the ST1200 machines was exactly the same except for the addition of the small rubber roller in front of the sound head. This seemed to be the point where cement joins came adrift and yes it was cured with the revision of the film path on later machines.
For those who contacted Elmo direct about this problem (I was one) they would supply the small green guide as used on the ST1200 series of machines. You simply removed the small rubber roller assay and replace it with the small green guide. This cured the problem of cement splices falling to pieces.
The problem was that this small rubber roller caused the film to go through a very sharp S bend which was a bit unkind to cement splices especially ones which had been made years earlier and were maybe drying out a bit.
My Xenon has the later film path which has a much more direct/gentle layout to it. I have never had a cement splice come adrift to date on this machine or others like it. I have to say however that over the years I have replaced most of my cement splices with Wurker tape patches which go through any of the GS's without ny problems.

The fact that if you contacted Elmo in Germany at the time and would get a free green guide suggests to me that they did of course know of he problem. This wasnt however publicised anywhere and I only found out about this interim mod by chance.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2006 08:11 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you once again kev for clearing this matter up.andy.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 18, 2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I'm following 100%. Could we see pictures of the old and new arrangements to see in comparison?

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 19, 2006 01:15 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, I dont have the two versions to show you. If you know the ST1200'd and the 600's you will know that one has the loop after the gate which comes forward under the lens holder and the other it goes back towards the lamp house. On the GS they also put a small rubber roller in front of the soundhead. I can take a pic to show you the latter arrangement but not the earlier.

Kev.

[ April 19, 2006, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 19, 2006 08:42 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please do. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC