8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Shipping charges from UK to USA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shipping charges from UK to USA
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 20, 2006 11:23 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all! I have the option of picking up a very nice projector weighing in at 13.5 kilograms -What would be the cheapest option to get it to the states? The Gentlemen said the lowest rate he could find would be around 98 sterling..that seems pretty high considering I have had projectors from Germany cost only $60.
Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2006 01:46 PM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, i just checked out shipping costs on www.parcelforce.com i am afraid the cost is even higher, 5-8 days for delivery time, insurance up to £150.00 only! parcelforce quoted £100.10.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,

Shipping from the UK is terribly expensive. I found that shipping a 16mm feature from the UK to the continent is twice as expensive as the other way around!
There seems to be a cheaper new kid on the block: www.parcels2go.com
Two weeks ago I tried them out for the first time. I sent 2 16mm features to Italy. They didn't pick up the films on the day they said they would; you can't speak to anyone (it's all done via email); you can only inquire about a problem with an order _once a day_.... Anyway, a few days later suddenly someone appeared on the doorstep to pick up the parcel (he only had half the destination address, but that could be corrected)
So, my first experience wasn't all that great, but the parcel arrived in Italy in good condition a few days later. A parcel up to 25kg is some £30 for Europe and some £60 for the US (which is very good compared to PArcelForce and others). You do seem to need some patience with them though...

- Rob

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 23, 2006 06:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this is a real problem. I too have found that the shiiping costs out of the UK are about double that coming in. I dont really know why this should be the case but it certainly puts people off of dealing with us UK guys on say eBay especially when the good are heavy. I have also found that there is not much cost saving going to companies such as DHL etc in fact on one or two occasions I have found ParcelForce to be the cheapest as it seems to depend on the weight band that the item falls into which differs between the couriers.
Another problem is that some of the couriers wont deal with you unless you have a business account with them.

These people Rob, sound like a reasonable alternative. Lets hope that your first experiences are not representative of their normal service.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC