8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Xenon Beaulieu or Fumeo Projector needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Xenon Beaulieu or Fumeo Projector needed
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2006 07:10 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

Wonder if some one can help i am after a Xenon Beaulieu or Fumeo Projector as i need this for a program i will be starting in September/October. I will be screening a few full length titles in Super 8 along side 16mm & 35mm. Any help would be great. I do have a GS1200 and a Beaulieu projector but will think of trading this in if need be as i don't think ill be using them any more.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2006 02:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be a better option to upgrade the lamp in one of your existing machines. If either of your current machines has been reliable and generally in good condition you may be better off in the long run just sticking with that and putting an arc or xenon lamp in it. Certainly the GS is capable of coping with the extra heat from xenon lamps.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 28, 2006 09:13 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest the GS and not the Beaulieu for a xenon or HTI upgrade. The beaulieu xenon has to have an extra fan mounted on the lmaphouse cover but in the case of the GS you just make sure that fan remains at high speed to help cooling.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2006 04:18 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,

Thank you for your kind help I would go with what you have suggested but what is the better of the two in relation to light output a Xenon or HTI as I will be showing this in a full sized independently run 1920s cinema booth in Bristol on I assume a 10ft screen maybe larger? Can you tell me how I go about getting the light changed over??? And I assume before I get this done could tell me how I can get my GS checked over or serviced so its runs in perfect condition.

I gather I will be needing a long throw lens of some sort what is the best to get and if possible where can I obtain this from? The other thing I will of course need is a long playing unit as I plan to show features with out a break of course. Any ideas of obtaining something that could work with the Elmo.

Also thank you to John as I believe you are a legend like Kev in Elmos.

Rob.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 02, 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Xenon ouput will be almost twice the output of the standard Elmo GS Xenon according to Ugo's specs. If you are needing a lot of light..the HTI is the best light source available but you will need a separate Ballast (?) for the light source. And additional cooling among other things. You can check wtih Bill Parsons or Ugo in regards to how to do it..but It wont be easy. Bavaria Film used to do the conversion and it was 3000 Euros..and that was not including the projector. They do not do the work any longer as the gentlemen who did it passed on.
In regards to the lens.. the best I have seen and many agree is the 1.2 Elmo Auditorium lens. I believe Wittner has it but its pricey. Around 495 Euros If I remember correctly. But in a screening with the GS1200 Xenon in an actual movie theatre that I had used my machine for.. the 1.2 lens was pinpoint sharp. Better even than the 1.0 Elmo and that is a great lens.
Long Play unit? Check the threads here. There is one on Ebay currently.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC