8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 2000H Dualux - saggy belt!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 2000H Dualux - saggy belt!
Johnny Starr
Junior

- posted April 27, 2006 01:55 PM      Profile for Johnny Starr   Email Johnny Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's been about a year since I posted in this forum. Been happily playing away with the projectors I got last year and built up quite a little collection of film from carboots and the sort.

I've just collected a Sankyo 2000 from a freecycle.org member. A neighbour of his was emigrating and left it on top of the dustbin.

It really looks brand new. Been kept in its cover the whole time.

Turned it on and it lit up but there was a "stuck motor" noise and nothing moved.

Took the back off and the drive belt was sitting on its wheels although it was sagging and not at all tight. It was also stuck to the wheels and the reason that the straining noise was being made since the wheels couldn't move.

I've pulled the belt away from the wheels and now when I turn it on the wheels spin around ten to the dozen with no belt to pull.

So it looks like all is well apart from the belt.

I'm just amazed by the belt. It's literally hanging off the wheels and nowhere near tight enough to pull the wheels around.

I think it's fair to say that this machine hasn't been touched for donkeys' years and since it's in such excellent nick I doubt it's worn through a belt in its life so I don't think somebody will have tried to replace it with an incorrect belt.

Can a belt go so saggy just by being sat in the loft?

It's as if it isn't sitting over one of the wheels that it should be sitting over but I can see it covers both wheels, and then some!

Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts before I off to eBay to get a replacement drive belt. Could a wheel be so far out of place that it means the belt is very loose? Looks like there isn't much room for the wheels to move anywhere.

Cheers, all.

J

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2006 02:48 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that can happen to rubber so hopefully a new belt is all that is required. Lee's Cameras used to stock just about every belt imaginable so it could be worth looking them up rather than risking something from eBay.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 28, 2006 09:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could by a length of this belt material from Dearnn which you cut to length and then melt the ends together.

I have seen a lot of these old belts go saggy like this then eventually decompose into a sticky mess. Good job you found it at this stage because this rubber is really horrid to clean off once it goes sticky. A bit like the ruber round the shutter of some ST1200's

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 29, 2006 07:54 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoo, boy, are you ever right on that one Kevin. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC