8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Reparing Perf On Super 8mm........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reparing Perf On Super 8mm........
Ian John
Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 10:49 AM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use mainly 16mm, but I recently bought another super 8mm film that needs a bit of work on the perf of one of the reels. With 16mm, it is not a problem, but what is the best way to do a perf on 8mm (given the restricted space)?

I have a Cir super 8mm splicer, but it cuts the tape leaving a rap-around peice of tape, and I wanted if possible to avoid covering full frames with tape as opposed to the edge of the perf, but there is not the room. Unlike 16mm Cir splicers, where you can advance the tape just to cover the perf area (avoiding the frame image).

Anyone got any idea's on it? Many thanks.

Ian. (UK)

|  IP: Logged

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 11:04 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,

Try the following link, it may help.
Perforation Repair

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2006 12:12 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is that if not many frames are involved I would use whole frame splices to do the sprocket repairs rather than lose the frames. If it's a long length I would consider sacrificing it rather than risking more damage to the film and/or projector. Or maybe Craig's link which is a cement solution. I have no experience with cement splices, but that might work well.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC