8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ealing 20th May

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ealing 20th May
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2006 02:04 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With very unpredictable weather (doesn't that happen a lot at film events!), this turned out once again to be a fun filled day. I finally got to meet Kevin F. (spoken a couple of times on the Dog & Bone, but never in person), to Craig and many more Forum members. Keith had a wide variety of shows mixing old and new with the 1st show doing just that, with a vintage Walton Tom & Jerry (colour was still excellent by the way), to the latest Derann and CHC releases. Then there was a video projection of 55 years of Acorn Film Society, these are based just down the road to me at Chingford, and horor of horrors later in the DVD of highlights from the past 55 years, old footage of a CEC open day, where I used to work with Gary Watson, I was up on the big screen, and no "H" certificate in sight. This DVD of the history of Acorn was fascinating, with many clips inc. After this DVD finished, we had a little time, and fellow BFCC cohort John Bird had been filming on his camcorder all morning in and around Ealing Town Hall, and lo and behold, they actually ran the footage, and you know what I'm going to say now, among the crowd he filmed was my goodself again, well when viewed, no I can't go on it's too horrific!

The scope shows are always my favourite, and the new Derann extract from "The Matrix Revolutions" is all action fast cutting Scope action, I thouroughly enjoyed that. Later on 16mm we saw some rare items of newsreel footage, a reel about 50 years of Ealing as a London borough (made in 1951), how twee was this.

John Clancy then gave us 20 minutes of his favourite trailers, basically anything with big Arnie in, plus a couple of others to add to the mix.

Then the day ended with 2 Cineavision 400' Scope reels, 1st up was Ben-Hur, this was amazing how much story from such a long film was crammed inbto 17 minutes, excellent. Jaws 2 was up next, and again the editing on this 2 reeler was very good too.

This was just the shows, but the banter and laughter in and around Ealing Town Hall on a BFCC day is hard to put into words, but I love it, and myself and 2 friend finished off with a superb meal accross the road, the day was finished off a treat, roll on Ocober 21st for the next BFCC, well done Keith, John C., John B. and all the gang.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 21, 2006 07:15 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.....

Yes it was goot to meet up at long last and put a face to a name etc.

I felt that there was less people this time and John confirmed that the numbers were down a bit on the 50th but then I suppose the 50th was a special and more people made an effort for that one.

Less film bargains arround but on the other hand I came away with more film than I intended to. About a year ago I bout the feature of Carry on Camping from a UK dealer but it has a bad Emulsion scratch through reels 1 & 2 and isnt too bad through 3 & 4. I did know this before buying it but bought it because most copies were on acetate Eastman and have now faded but this copy was one of the last runs on the newer LPP poly stock and has great colour. Well yesterday I was having a chat to Gary on the Derann stand and there right in fron of my eyes was the odd reels 1 & 2 of Carry on Camping on poly stock and unscratched. The cost just a mere £20. That for me made the whole effort of getting to the BFCC worthwile.....result [Smile]

Seeing Jean-Marc there yet again and others from Italy shows the support that the convention gets from Europe.

A great day with plenty of shows and that HTI machine certainly did some of the films proud. I have to say I thought at one point that Keith was using his 16mm xenon untill I saw that Penguin short released by Derann. Now that really looked sharp (all over, from side to side) with bright punchy colours.

Anyway as Barry said our thanks have to go to Keith W, John C for another great day out.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2006 09:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
so fellow members it was a good day out by the sound of it.what was the last matrix extract like then?.i would like to hear your views on it.is the northern film collectors convention in blackpool or has it been withdrawn.andy.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2006 09:32 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I think numbers were down a bit also because of work on sections of the railway over the country, I know this put off at least 1 possibly 2 regulars from attending.

Well done on finding the 2 Carry On parts, now that was a find!

Andy "The Matrix Revolutions" extract though a little dark in places (as was the film in the cinema), is a rip roaring 25 minutes or so of non stop action, well worth a punt.

Blackpool is mostly definately "ON" and tickets will be going out soon so Derann say.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 21, 2006 11:08 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I had forgotton about the train probs and I dont think the very unsettled weater helped either. Having said all that Ian of Perry's Movies told me today that his takings were up on the Oct event which pleased him no end. This is good news as it of course helps to keep the dealers interested in this bianual event. [Smile]

Many people saw the Metal input guide I had with me from FFR in Germany and were suitably interested in getting one. All this is great as it is helping to keep the hobby alive.

Now to go and have a look at some of the films I bought yesterday. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 21, 2006 11:37 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm home...

What a great weekend. It all started on Friday morning with a mad dash to the station as I had convinced myself that my train was leaving 45 minutes after its actual departure time (don't ask [Roll Eyes] ). After endless seconds of total panic, a taxi just passed by and I got to the station a few minutes prior to departure. Phew.

After a good day at Thorpe park, riding their awesome new roller coaster, I made my way to Ealing and my base camp for the weekend.

The Caspian hotel isn't the fanciest place on Earth but it's litterally around the corner from the Ealing Town Hall.

At 8 am on Saturday morning, I joined Keith and John to help setting up the cinema, mostly acting as a gopher, carrying stuff around. Fortunately, we managed to unload everything from the cars before it started to rain heavily.

The convention kickstarted in the busy foyer, where I bumped into Craig Hamilton and finally made the acquaintance of Barry Attwood and Paul Foster.

I quickly browsed through the tables and bought a few titles from Derann, CHC and Perry's. We stopped for a cup of coffee and Kevin F. showed us the FFR metal input guide for the GS1200. We all oohed and aahed. This is definitely next on my list of purchases. Later, Tony Milman joined us and we spent the remaining of the day sharing our time between the search for a last bargain, chats with Gary @ Derann and Ian @ Perry's, numerous pit stops at the coffee table and the screenings. Also glad to see Kevin Clark again.

As usual Keith and John had created great programs for the entire day. And as usual, the two scope shows had probably the greatest attendance. Although I don't like the 3rd Matrix film, the new extract is a real spin'n'spew of a ride, making the Freeway reel look like a kiddie merry-go-round. Very impressive on the big screen.

Now, about that big screen... Do you guys have any idea how much work it is to set it up and, then, to bring it down? I now know, first hand. So hats off to the dynamic duo of Clancy and Wilton (and to the rest of the team: Susan, Mark, John, etc.) as putting together a convention, featuring a big screen cinema with THX sound, and clearing everything in less than a day deserves total respect. If my schedule allows me to help you again for future conventions, I will not hesitate to volunteer.

Seeing John and Susan packing up this enormous sound system of theirs into their Mini was also quite a sight!

The day ended with a fantastic dinner prepared by lady Wilton, with Keith and Ken Locke engaged in a friendly joust of absolutely hilarious memories of their days at the Beeb.

Thank you all, I had a great time.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2006 03:29 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a pleasure, as usual, to have you there Jean-Marc. When we hear at least a few people have enjoyed themselves it does make it all worthwhile.

I must apologize to many people as reading through all the posts on different threads on here this evening I realize I missed a lot of people and in all probability walked straight passed people I should have stopped to say 'hello' to. Sorry - it wasn't deliberate.

Numbers were down a bit on the 50th convention but Keith and I are surprised by how many people were there. I certainly was not expecting such a good attendance after so many people went to the effort especially to get to the last convention. So thank you to everyone who came. Super 8 sales are up; the trend for BFCC attendances is slightly up; Kodak have just advertised Super 8 camera film in a magazine again (back cover of 'Super 8 Today' full page colour glossy advert). All in all, it's a good time for the film hobby.

Finally, thanks to whoever brought along copies of the January/February edition of 'Super 8 Today' to give away on the ticket desk. It's great to see these new glossy Super 8 related magazines - like going back in time.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2006 03:42 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a 3-hour long journey from Birmingham I was there at 10.30 and picked up my long-awaiting films: a copy of L&H's Fra Diavolo,a 16mm edition of 'M'-great UFA Classic!-,my copy of'Victory at Sea' and various bits and bobs,included my first Standard 8s: 'That's my
wife' and 'Call of the Cukoo'-it'll be a pleasure watching them ! [Smile]
...My impression too was it was a bit down since October, but I can't see why the weather is to blame for that-it didn't put me off
for one!
..A nice surprise of the day was to meet a fellow Greek collector
who was there for the first time,so yes,BFCC's getting support from the continent indeed!
By the way did those of you who watched the 16mm show get the same impression that I did of a trembling image?

--------------------
Yannis

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 21, 2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No fault of the BFCC, but I had a rather frustrating day as circumstances caused me to arrive too late for the new releases show, amd I also got caught in a lengthy conversation in the afternoon which caused me to miss the 16mm show, which I was also keen to see. Although I bought a couple of useful 'bits and pieces', the only Super 8 I bought was the Wallace and Grommit trailer! I must have made a profit on the day, due to some sales on the Bring & Buy.

Anyway, thanks to Keith and John for all their hard work again, and additional thanks for making issue 2 of 'smallformat' available for a bargain price. From what I read on the journey home, it's just as impressive as the first issue.

Finally, Ged of Derann told me he was a bit concerned that there had been a few people phoning Derann to check if "rumours" that it had been cancelled were true. I'm not saying that there's anything sinister going on, but I'm sure we would all like to know how such rumours start, with a view to putting an end to this nonsense.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2006 04:33 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks again to Keith, John and all the organisers who yet again made the whole BFCC experience one to savour - the amount of work that goes on in the background to make these days happen must be immense and I really appreciate the end result which again was excellent. Also it was a pleasure to at last meet Barry & also many other forum members and dealers again for a good cine chat. Something for everyone as always both on screen and in the dealer halls - I'm eagerly looking forward to October 21st for the next BFCC and hopefully many more to come.
Kevin.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC