8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Humming Elmo.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Humming Elmo.
Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2006 08:34 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too paid a brief but enjoyable visit to the BFCC on Saturday. Only my second, but thanks to this forum I am a little more savvy and was able to actually talk to people rather than stare, goggle eyed like a kid in a sweet shop as I had done in October last. One of the chaps I spoke to was Kev who, after an initial look of suspicion on being hailed by a complete stranger, (what do you expect if you've posted your pic on the forum!!) was very friendly and helpful.
I originally accosted him to thank him for helping me some time ago to discover whether or not my newly purchased Elmo (ST1200) was able to play both sound tracks, given that a copy of "The Jungle Book" advertised as "stereo" I'd also just bought was only playing through one speaker of my stereo. Kev kindly sent me a short film he knew to be in stereo and it became immediately clear that my projector was firing on all cylinders.
Anyway, on Saturday I mentioned that even a very slight increase in volume on the Elmo would result in a hefty amount of hum which I assumed meant the imminent death of the projector's amp. Far from it. Although, he said, you can never get rid of the hum entirely from said machine, you can do quite a bit about it.

Here's the tip:
Open up the front of the beast and once you've finished admiring the simple ingenuity of it all, investigate the sound head area. You may need a torch, but if you peer underneath you should find to small, yellow, plastic lumps on wires apparently tucked up in a random stylie. These are coils, one for each track, and their relative positions to each other and just about everything in the machine will make a big difference to the noise. As I understood it, their job is to suppress the amp noise, but don't quote me. Anyway, plug the projector in, turn the motor and lamp on and pump up the volume. Kev assured me that it's perfectly safe to fiddle around by the coils with everything going as there's "no voltage there" (again don't quote me!). Move the track selector switch (at the upper rear of the Elmo) to track 1 and then gently move the coils around within their tight space. You'll quickly discover which one is for which track. It's a bit fiddly and I used the non-business end of a match to do it, but blow me if it doesn't work. Repeat for track 2. You can seriously reduce the hum.

Sorry if you pros have heard this all before, but it's so neat I thought it should be shared.

Kev, thanks, ..............again.

Sam

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 21, 2006 11:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, your more than welcome. I could see that look of dismay on your face when you were telling me the story of your bad hum and the thoughts that the machine was on it's last legs but as you have seen the coils are there to cancel out the hum from the transformer etc.
As you say you cant get rid of the hum completely but you can reduce it to a level where it shouldnt impede over the sound tracks from your films.

I have got used to being stopped like that in corridoors so no worries on that score and anyway it was great to be able to put a face to a name. [Smile]

Glad I was able to help.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC