8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Another pulse-sync question!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another pulse-sync question!
Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2006 03:06 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When, in December 2005, I bought an ST-1200 in favour of a twice the price GS-1200, one of the compromises I knew I'd be making was the inability of the ST to record pulse-sync sound. As I regularly use my camera which is capable of producing both a pulse tone and a pilot tone, and I've recently bought a Nagra reel to reel which is also pulse enabled, the posibility of recording sound to a sound-striped film is getting closer.

The next step ought to be for me to upgrade to a GS, buy a gadget or two from Pedro and, hopefully, Bob will be my uncle, providing I can work out how to link it all up.

BUT WAIT!!!

Whilst aimlessly leafing through my downloaded manual for the ST, I found a paragraph referring to the small jack at the front of the projector; something that, in my excitement at receiving the machine, I'd never bothered to investigate.
I quote:-
"The R-1 synchronizer is used to synchronize the Elmo SR-1 Cassette Recorder with the ST-1200HD projector for transferring sync-sound to magnetically striped film. The SR-1 Cassette Recorder, when attatched to Elmo cameras, 110R, 612R or 1018R, utilizes a pulse-sync system for recording sound in post-sync for later sound transfer to the film during projection."

Now, call me old fashioned, but that seems to be saying that there is a way for me to link up my Nagra to my ST and sync sound to picture. There are, apparently at least 554 of you out there so hopefully someone will haved some ideas/suggestions/abuse to send my way?

Sam

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 23, 2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, for once I have to say that this is something I have not investigated either. What I can tell you is the the socket on the front of the ST is connected to a reed switch which closes once per frame. It does not do anything else other than that.

Now the way I think this works is as follows:
You connect the SR1 up to one of the cameras in question and the camera will supply one pulse per frame as you shoot your film and capture the sound on cassette.

After you get your film back from processing and striping you then connect the SR1 up to the ST with the tape at the first point of sound. The sound output is now connected to the input of the ST and the ST is put in the record mode. The SR1 is switched to be controlled by the ST, and the ST is then started. The closing of the contacts once per frame now controls the tape and keeps it in sync with the ST. Basically the SR1 is now controlling the speed of the tape to match the recorded pulses with the pulses from the ST.

Hope that makes sense and I'm sure that someone who has actually used this system will probably come forward with some more detailed info.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2006 11:14 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,
Absolutely it makes sense, but I thought that only the GS was capable of being controlled by an external pulsed gadget or resolver. If my ST can do the same then happy days are here again, providing that is, I can find an R-1 synchroniser. Anyone out there got one to sell?
Sam

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2006 12:00 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I understood Kevin correctly, the ST-projector will always be the "master" and the recorder the "slave" in this setup. = IMHO there's no word that the ST-projector is capable of being controlled by an external pulsed gadget or resolver?!

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2006 01:32 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, the ST isn't capable of being controlled externally. The speed of its AC motor is determined by the mains frequency (50/60 Hz) and cannot be changed. The front connector (reed switch) can be used to provide information about the current projector speed to external devices which will then be able to sync to the ST.

Jörg

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2006 04:46 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, given that my reel to reel has recorded location sound and a pulse/per frame signal, how do I get it to communicate with the ST in order to sync up with the image filmed by the pulse emitting camera?
Sam

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 24, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sam, I think that where the ST is concerned you have to use the SR1 or one of the other Elmo recorders. The ST is fixed speed and due to the AC motor ( as Joerg explained above) cant be varied its the recorder which has to vary in this case. This is where the GS scored as it does it the right way round ie the pulses on tape control the projector.

To be quite honest with you the setup with the ST was a bit primitive in this respect [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC