8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DIY Screens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DIY Screens
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 28, 2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector Central has posted a very interesting article on tests of home made screens vs commercial screens, with actual side by side photos. Well worth a read:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/diy_screen.htm

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, but I can't make out a difference between the test shots other than for the contrast and black levels... sheesh, and it takes a $1,000 screen for that small of an improvement? Good thing my trusty Da-Lite cost me less than $200. [Wink] Which isn't much more than the DIY screen, plus you don't have to do a thing but hang it up. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Chester Brooks
Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2006 06:00 AM      Profile for Chester Brooks   Email Chester Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cant really see the difference in the screen shots.

To spend $1000.00 plus you would want to see more for your cash.

Ive been to some old drive ins in my youth that were no mote than paint and wood. Keep it bright keep it loud nobody spot the difference !!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 05, 2006 12:23 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
Paul you picked an interesting topic the site was very interesting the use of what you call velveteen in the frame is a good idea. The screen I made was constructed from two sheets of custom wood 12ft by 4ft one sheet secured to the blockwork and painted with vivid white matt finish "water based" I used a roller. The second sheet was cut for top and bottom masking covered in black fabric and butted to the first sheet.The side masking I used an old curtain track and using 8inch wide hardboard inserts into more of the black fabric I could slide the L and R sides to complete the side masking. The screen is basic in nature and cheap to make. I find that by enlarging the projected image just slightly into the masking I get a defined edge to the picture, I feel it improves the image overhall, one important point if possible keep the screen away from white walls and ceilings as the reflected light will defuse the projected image. The screen works well for both video and film, some people are more imaginative and have included motorised masking etc. It would be interesting to read what thoughts others have on the subject.
Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC