8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 64T Performance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 64T Performance
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2006 10:32 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just had a processed 64T back from Dwayne's Photo. Everything is fine with spot-on exposure from a Canon 1014. A tiny bit more grain, but this isn't a problem, especially if the scenes being filmed are bright. I have also had success exposing the same film on a Canon 814, Bell & Howell 2146XL, and Canon 310XL. The only difference with these cameras was that the last one seemed to increase the grain on the film. All were exposed perfectly.

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 17, 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. [Smile] I too got my first 64T film back from Dwayne's a few days ago, and although I haven't actually screened it yet (I'm about to, though) I unrolled the first few feet and they looked pretty good to the naked eye (no apparent overexposure).

Time to show it to all those naysayers who keep bashing 64T. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2006 08:22 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up an 85B filter off EBAY the other day for $2.00 American, the shipping at $3.00 cost more than the lens.

Received it in the mail today, wife told me over the phone it looks clear and that the markings on the lens Tiffen 67mm 85B are what I was expecting.

Time to hunt down a couple carts of 64T for myself and give it a go.

Have either of you screened your 64t films yet? How did they turn out? The only reason I shoot S8 is to project and until Kodak gets around to releasing 100D the E64T emulsion will have to do. My supply of K40 is dwindling quick.

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 18, 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a post I made yesterday on the filmshooting forum:

quote:
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:22 pm

I just viewed my first roll of 64T. (3 times in a row, actually.)

I like it. I like it very much.

The grain is the worst aspect of it, but a hobby filmer who isn't too demanding (i.e. requires professional results) can get used to it.

The colors came out great. Both indoors with tungsten lamps and outdoors with the camera's built-in filter. Very natural. I don't think I'll be needing an extra 85B filter. Smile

Biggest surprise: the exposure is spot-on throughout the entire film. Not a hint of overexposure, no too-light scenes, nothing blown out. Either the overexposure isn't nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be, or my camera's lightmeter has actually drifted out of alignment (toward making films darker) and just happens to be 64T-compatible now. Laughing But that's unlikely as it's in mint shape and in fact performs all of its functions flawlessly (I tested each one while shooting this film).

Overall, I like 64T. I wouldn't mind for it to stay around.

It goes to prove that signature of another member on this forum (I forget who it is): "Don't worry so much about the technology, just start filming!" How true this turns out to be. Smile

--------------------

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2006 05:57 AM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
64t performance!!!, imo grim. Put a 64t image next to a standard 8 k25 image taken recently or in the 1960s, the k25 is the winner.The year is 2006, a film dating backing years can outperform a more modern emulsion. 64t is the worse super 8 kodak film i have ever used, after 6 cartridges, no more, awaiting 50D to arrive from GK. 64t bashing from me i am afraid, its grainy and lacks the kodachrome bite. Was never a great fan of k40, but even k40 looks great on a side by side test with 64t.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Biggest surprise: the exposure is spot-on throughout the entire film. Not a hint of overexposure, no too-light scenes, nothing blown out. Either the overexposure isn't nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be, or my camera's lightmeter has actually drifted out of alignment (toward making films darker) and just happens to be 64T-compatible now.
What camera have you been using? Maybe your camera can handle the 64ASA-notch correctly? If not, it still depends on your camera whether it mistakes the 64ASA for 40ASA or 160ASA.
Nevertheless: I've been to ASA90 some days ago. (ASA90 is a photoshop here in Berlin that sells new films (Cinevia, e64t, ...), used Single8-/Super8-cameras, ... .) I had a chat with the guy behind the counter. And some of his friends have been using the e64t in a Canon-camera that exposes the film as 40ASA, too. They showed him the results - and he was very impressed: Even though everyone would rate the film as overexposed, it differed from other overexposed films: the shadows still have been black, the faces didn't turn into white spots, but remained their skin-tones, ... . Hence the film looked more like shot on a too sunny day than actually overexposed.
So it sounds like this either was also caused by an incorrect lightmeter - or the e64t is very "good natured" when it comes to over-exposure.

To switch topics: Grain:
Normally I don't like grain in my films, too. But there are other "grainy" films, e.g. Kodak's Super8-Tri-X or Foma's Double-Super8-Fomapan. And when you want to combine those films with a colour-reversal one (e.g. for a "past-and-present-film"), the e64t should be perfect.
Not to mention that grain could be a wanted effect for experimental films or music "videos".
You could even use it as a "special effect" in normal movies:
* in a box fight: one of the fighters get hit on the eye -> when the camera is set up to film from his point of view, you're switching to e64t and a soften filter ... and you've got his "blurred vision" [Wink]
* in a scifi-film: one of the actors looks into a telescope (or something similar) that works with video. You'll simply put a telescope-mask in front of the lens and use the e64t to shoot what the actor sees
* for shooting CGI: the grain would make the CGI look less artificial. (CGI isn't out of scope when shooting Super8: just point your camera onto a bright TFT-display that can do at least 1024*768 pixels - and doing the titles or end credits on a PC is very easy.)

Of course I wouldn't want grain in all other use-cases, too. [Wink]

Jörg

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 23, 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg,

interesting comments including the possible uses of grain as an intended effect. [Smile] As for my camera, that's a Bauer Royal 8E makro... definitely not able to read 64T correctly, yet my film came out just fine. I do suspect that people simply make the overexposure out to be much more horrible than it actually is.
Will definitely give Velvia 50D a try as well, though... then decide which stock I'm going to stick with (taking pricing into account as well).

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2006 02:21 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that a lot of Hollywood movies are using grainy film for effect. I'm not sure if its super 8 though.

For instance, the movie "Man on Fire" with Denzel Washington uses high-grain film quite a few scenes. I guess it all depends on the look you are going for as a film maker. I like it some times, but not all the time.

Nick.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 24, 2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply put, it can be a ... um... an effective effect, until it's overused. Which can happen rather quickly.

--------------------

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back a reel of 64T, very nicely processed by the Super8 Reversal Lab in the Netherlands, about 10 day turn-around.
Shot it in my Eumig Nautica on an overcast day. Noticable much higher grain than K40, especially when projected on to a big screen. Nice strong colour and overexposure hasn't caused a problem, infact I'd say the film has benifited filming under the overcast conditions of the day.
Cineva has just gone off in the post, so I will have a comparison soon.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC