8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The rationale for E64T

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The rationale for E64T
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 05, 2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect there must be a few people (somewhere, probably not on this board) thinking: "If it's no longer economic for Kodak to produce K40, why have they launched E64T, particularly as some people may find it less convenient as it does not include processing, and there seems to be problems with regard to using it in some cameras?".

What I'd like to ask is:
a) Has anyone seen Kodak address this point in any sort of communication or press release? AS far as I can see, they are not really claiming that E64T is replacing K40 because its superior.
b) Does everyone think it's entirely down to Kodak wanting to be free of the relatively demanding type of processing involved in K40? I presume that's the case, although I'm sure it's not entirely an economic decision, as I suppose they could have increased the price of K40 by about 25%, and customers would still have spent less than they would buying E64T and getting it processed.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2006 10:24 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You raise good points Adrian.

I consider that Kodak wants out of processing altogether, especially the difficult Kodachrome process with 14 baths. I wish they had kept process paid mailers like Europe and Australia always had. We paid $20 for a process paid Kodachrome 40, now we have to pay $24 for a 64t WITHOUT processing!

Kodak have/are going through an enormous transition. They need to move out of under performing areas like any business. They need to balance this with building blocks for film-makers and that is what Super 8 has been, especially since the boom 70's.

It is not all bad for Kodak and film, in the last several years I understand they have sold more 35mm motion picture release print stock than any time in their history! Film is a long way from dead and whilst we will see other stocks vanish, new stocks will emerge. Look at the entire new Vision 2 range.

I understand there is a chance of another Kodak Super 8 colour stock being released, it all depends on how 64t goes in the market place.

Whilst I will miss Kodachrome and the economical process paid mailers, Kodak deserve credit for keeping Super 8 in the market. Their website has excellent information and support and I will continue to shoot Super 8 and 16mm as long as colour reversal stock is offered. You just can't beat the quality of big images projected in your own home.

David

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 06, 2006 06:41 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E64T is a nice stock... at least here in the USA, it can be had for less than $20 per cart, and processing through Dwayne's Photo is rather economical at $9 per cart as well. The only issue I take with the film is its grain... which can be a bit bothersome. The colors are very good, though, and I was surprised to find no problems with overexposure in my Bauer camera (which reads ASA40/160 only).
That said, I do think it's a bit frustrating to have so many choices of negative films and so few choices of reversal films... I will always love projected film and have little interest in any of that telecine business, so negative film is just not interesting for me, and won't be unless making positive prints from camera negatives becomes 1. more available and 2. MUCH cheaper than it is (not likely to happen). Ohwell...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2006 11:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, (I think) David is saying the price in Australian dollar which is 0.7 less than US$.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 07, 2006 07:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC