8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Can somebody help me rerecord this movie sound?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can somebody help me rerecord this movie sound?
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2006 08:50 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a print of a Randolph Scott western movie, The Cariboo Trail. Of the 5 reels, reel 3 is terribly out of sync. The leader has never been cut.

Is there anyone with a Pedro box and a GS1200 that could help me.

My guess is you could (1) record the sound from the reel to audio cassette or VCR tape; then (2) redub it back to the proper reel in sync.

I would prefer that you live in the USA to avoid extra shipping delays. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chip

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 07, 2006 09:35 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a GS1200 nor a Pedro's box, but would be happy to do this. I have one out-of-sync movie myself and have been meaning to re-record it, but my plan is to record the soundtrack into my PC, taking advantage of 1. CD-quality sound and 2. quartz stability during record & playback, so that only the projector itself needs taken care of in regard to keeping the sound in sync once I dub it back onto the film. And that might not be such a big problem at all.
So if no one else steps forward.... I'll volunteer. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 08, 2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, Anyone with a GS and a Cresta Sync Pulse Unit should be able to undertake this for you. I have done this many times. You record the soundtrack onto a Stereo cassette or reel to reel on one track and allow the Cresta unit to put 1000Hz pulses on the other track from the ESS out on the GS.

You then work out how much you need to advance or retard the film to bring it back into sync and then put the GS in record. When the tape starts and the pulses appear the GS will start recording and the pulse from the tape will control the GS.

If you dont get any one in the US offering to do this for you then I can certainly do it for you over here in the UK. Shipping at your expense and a bit to cover a pint of beer [Big Grin]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip,

We would be willing to remix the entire print from you provided you had a VHS copy or DVD copy. We are only offering to remix the entire print as the new remimix if done only on one reel would stand out from the original lab track on the other reels. We charge 55c per minute of feature film running time. Drop a post or email if you're interested.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC