8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » NEED INFO ON ELMO ST600M 2-TRACK FOR A FRIEND...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED INFO ON ELMO ST600M 2-TRACK FOR A FRIEND...
Ian John
Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All, Just a quick question.

A friend bought the above model Elmo, and he asked me what is the maximum reel capacity was on it, and I was not sure, I told him I thought it was 800ft, but was not sure.

Is the max capacity 800ft or 600ft. on this machine?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ian. UK.

PS: Anyone looking for manuals, I found this site if it's of any help for anyone.

http://www.super8stuff.com/manuals.html

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi john,the max. reel cap.is 600ft.andy.

Ian John
Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2006 08:43 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Andrew, I'll pass that on to him.

Ian. UK.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 15, 2006 05:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, not to sound funny but that is how Elmo named their machines. I.e. ST600 = 600ft. ST800 = 800ft ST1200 = 1200ft etc etc. The one oddity is when they used the metric size for the revamped ST600 and called it an ST180. I think there was an ST100 in the earlier days but I dont know what the 100 stood for?

The addition of and "M" at the end denotes Mag sound only or "M/O" is Mag & Optical sound.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 15, 2006 08:07 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the numbers - I wanna know what the heck 'ST' and 'GS' mean. [Big Grin]

Probably something along the lines of "Sturdy & tough" and "Great stuff" [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Ian John
Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, Yes, I get your point, having said that, I have an Elmo ST-160M., and that is 600ft capacity (until I converted it to 800ft that is) [Smile] Thanks for the info.

Ian. UK.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 15, 2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about the existence of the ST-160... but it seems that the 160/180 models (and pretty much anything "below" the ST-600) simply fall out of line with the scheme of naming the model by its reel capacity... and perhaps follow their own (more recent?) scheme of naming by features and internal revisions/enhancements. In fact, I wonder if the ST-180 name and its relation to the 180m/600ft capacity isn't pure coincidence.

Then again I recently obtained a nearly-mint ST-600D M&O which, according to Kevin, is quite rare and much closer in design and appearance to the ST-180E than it is to most other ST-600 models. In fact this particular ST-600 has twe twin monitor outputs for both tracks which should allow for true stereo playback via an external amplifier. The black ST-600 (even though it comes in twin-track versions as well) does not have these monitor outs.

All very confusing, to say the least. [Confused]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 15, 2006 04:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried to find out before what the letters St and GS stand for but never been able to get to the bottom of that one.

Mayve the GS simply stands for "Glorious Stereo". I will try to put some more effort into finding out about this. I will have a word with the guys at Elmo in Germany to see if they know.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC