8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Projector to DV Camcorder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 Projector to DV Camcorder
Paul Gray
Junior

- posted July 15, 2006 08:41 PM      Profile for Paul Gray   Email Paul Gray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using a Eumig 6160D Projector to play some old super 8mm film & record the image onto my Sony DV camcorder. The problem I'm having is that some of the whiter footage on the film looks good on the wall but through my sony DV viewer is is pulsating. How can I stop this ?

|  IP: Logged

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2006 02:53 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

If your camcorder allows, try adjusting the shutter speed manualy. Try all the settings you can untill you find the best one for you. You may also have to adjust the white balance as well.

A lot of this will be trial & error.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2006 07:51 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard. Finally a few more Aussies here.

It really is trial and error with home transfer to DV. Try not to have your image too small and bright from your Super 8 projector. Does that Eumig have a speed variable speed control, other than the 18 and 24 fps? If so you can eliminate some flicker/pulsating with this.

I also agree with Craig, it may be that the very sensitive camera metering is trying to adjust for the shutter interruptions of the light from the projector. Use the manual settings on the Sony to over-ride the auto, you will find a setting that will do a reasonable transfer.

David

Paul Gray
Junior

- posted July 16, 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Paul Gray   Email Paul Gray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the informative response to my question. I've tried doing the white balance to manual indoors & outdoors which did help the pulsating BUT I found by accident going through my Sony Mini Dv settings by taking off the "steady shot" got rid of all the pulsating. Again thanks for your advise & I'm sure I'll be asking a few more questions about this transferring Super 8mm.
Cheers Paul

Carlos Plaza
Junior

- posted July 18, 2006 07:34 AM      Profile for Carlos Plaza   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Plaza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I may add my 'two cents' on this topic...I would also recommend a medium contrast reduction filter for your camcorder. The 'light to dark' dynamic range of film is considerably wider than that of video. As a result, the video may appear overexposed in the bright areas and black in the darker areas. By using such a filter, your video will show more detail in the dark and light areas of your movies.
Best of luck,
Carlos

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC