8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Professional Long Playing Machines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Professional Long Playing Machines
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2006 08:59 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently starting a film programme using Super 8, 16mm and 35mm films in November starting off in Bristol. The company own 15 independently run cinemas across the country.

My main reason in this post is I am trying to find a reliable professional long playing machine. My first choice was to convert my own GS1200 to the new HTI. But I have seemed to realise that that from reports and reading this forum that the GS can’t cope with long play of a full feature. I did consider changing the GS arms to the longer ones that are available from the German company that also does the HTI conversion.

Now the light source is also the main factor as I will be showing this in a full sized cinema seating around about 196 people.

I am now on the search of a professional long playing machine that can cope with a feature being played the whole way through with out a break.

Hopefully fingers crossed with your help I could find a suitable machine?

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 27, 2006 02:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are immensely hard to find... The question is just how long (and on which film stock) your features are, so as to decide what the maximum reel capacity you need is. I'm guessing 1600ft or 2000ft should be sufficient, so even if you decided to go with the GS1200 reel arm upgrade, you should be able to run larger reels without any problem so long as you don't overtax the machine with actual 2400ft monsters.
Other options: modify some low-end (or parts) super-8 machine for take-up purposes only, or possibly use a 16mm projector with Neumade super-8 adapters mounted on the 16mm spindles, and use this for mounting both the take-up and supply reels (set up the 16mm machine behind your GS1200 and just make sure to guide the film around any possible obstacles on its way to/from the reels).
Or invest in super-8 manual rewinds and motorize them "the DIY way" ...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 27, 2006 03:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are creative you could try building the "Gelmini Tower"!

I'm kind of curious about the legal issues of showing commercial Super-8 releases theatrically. Aren't they basically liscensed for home entertainment only?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2006 03:51 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now maybe I should apply for a patent! LOL

Thanks Steve! I liked that compliment!

Super 8 movies are licensed for home use only. So rightfully so, theatrical exhibit is illegal. However, if you do a private showing that benefits a charitable organization, then with alittle homework done in advance maybe it would be allowed.

Otherwise, stay away from the idea altogether.

CG

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 27, 2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've heard (and I could be wrong, so caveat emptor), screening super-8 features in public is somewhat OK (more of a legal grey zone, actually) as long as you don't charge admission for the screening. If you were to pass it off as a small private exhibition for friends who happen to bring along more friends... then legally you could get away with it. But ask for money and you're definitely in trouble. [Eek!]

Oh, and I would have mentioned the CG Tower myself but didn't think it to be a practical option with there being a time constraint (November is coming up fast) [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
I have been using with my GS 1200 the Spondon Long Play Unit, for a long time without any problems. I run 2400 Ft. and sometimes 2600 Ft. features nonstop just fine. It is very easy to operate. Really, all you have to do is to place the projector
between the two arms holding the feed and take up spools.
I am aware ofcourse that Spondon is no longer in existance. But
some dealers might still have one of these units in stock.

--------------------
António C. Mota

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2006 03:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you're going down the HTI route Robert?

If you get a long play unit in time I think you'll be alright running full length features but I would have a fan or air conditioning blowing at the projector just to be sure.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC