8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Member, hello everyone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Member, hello everyone
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyboby, I´d just like to introduce myself, I am pablo from Chile and I am a new super 8 collector (only started 2 month ago but boy did I begin with a bang.

I´m from Chile, South America but born in Australia (anyone in this forum from chile or from some neibouring country) and for many years I have had a few family super 8 film in the photo box. I´ve allways wanted to know what were in these films so about 2 month ago I went to the flea market and found a peculiar super 8 projector (here in chile super 8 and 8mm film were not that polpular in the past and quite hard to find now) I bought a yamawa Exclusiv compact 220 St (anyone know about this projector I never found any info about in the web.

And wow What a surprize what I saw, so many memories lost and now found an the colours wow now i know why this beats video incredible.

So I was hooked, the next days I got on the web into argentinian (neibouring country) online auctions (like ebay) and I bought another new projector this time sound.

I bought a CHINON SP-350 (anyone know anything about this projector) it came without an instruction manual and carefully have been learning about this projector (I didnt know anything about this before) DOES ANYONE HAVE A SCAN OF THE MANUAL OR INSTRCUCTIONS of this projector I would really apreciate it.

And also with this projector came about 19 movies (Ben Hur, Close Encounters, Dirty Dozen, Star Wars, The Sound Of Music, The Odessa File, Boston Strangler,Black Hole, Bridge Over the River Kwai, to name a few, but are in a terrible spanish and the previous owner recorded his voice introduciong the films( I just wanted to kill the guy when I herd it) but for the price I got everything who could complain. (less than 50 us bucks + shipping)

anyway, wow I am so glad I got into this and hope to chat more with you guys, and maybe learn a thing or two.

cheers everyone, and sorry about my grammar I haven´t procticed my english in about 20 years.

bye

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 09:59 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo and welcome.

Plenty of people from Chile in Australia, but I bet not many from Australia in Chile!

Your Yamawa is an interesting projector, made in Japan they were re-badged for different markets. In Australia they were sold as Titan, perhaps other countries too. The Waltons (not the UK film company) department store sold this brand exclusively here. They sold two silent versions and one sound version. There are stacks of them here in Australia.

Your Chinon is a more well known brand, I'm sure you'll find a manual from someone here. That is a bargain pile of film you got, well done.

David

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 09, 2006 11:04 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Pablo, and welcome to the forum. Here is a manual on ebay sitting at $1.99. Seller ships worldwide.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-8-CHINON-Sound-SP-330-PROJECTOR-MANUALS_W0QQitemZ190017396328QQihZ009QQcategoryZ15253QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks but thats the 330 I have the 350.
they must have some diferences?

Cheers

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 10, 2006 12:35 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have a manual but I do know of the differences between the 330 and 350 models:

The 330 is mono (single-track) and has a 1.3 lens. The 350 is a twin-track unit and has a slightly faster 1.2 lens, a pilot light and two RCA audio-out jacks. (It may be possible to use these jacks to play back stereo sound films, but I don't know for sure.)
Other than that, the two machines look and perform exactly the same. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 10:37 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo, welcome to the "8mm Forum family" [Wink]

This is a very good place to learn about the hobby and chit-chat with other film collectors.

Nick.

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 03:13 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi great.

These are pics of my projectors, My chinon sp-350 doesn´t have rca audio out jacks only a 5 pin din line out plug , which I didn´t know the layout but I opened it and found the connections and works fine connected to my stereo, bouth tracks sound perfect.

The question is, I can only record one track at a time, is it possible to do something so I can record on both tracks to make my rerecords stereos, because I noticed that the digests that I have (ben Hur, star wars etc) only have the audio recorded on ttrack 1 and track 2 has nothing on it.

Is it common that these digest like ken , mgm, picolo only have audio on track 1 and track 2 mute?, why is this, does this make them all mono.

Therefore I wish to rerecord the audio on these films, but with this projector I seems that I will only be able to record 1 track at a time, making them mono correct ( hope not stereo would be better).

Hey What do you guys think about this projector is it a good projector?

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Pablo, and welcome.... the Chinon 7500 is the only one i'm familiar with, and it's a very good machine, and i'm sure yours is too. Track two, as you refer to it, is basically the balance sound stripe which is there to balance the film as it runs through your projector, making the film run smoother and quieter,with possibly better focus, and wasn't originally intended for recording or re-recording...and is not recorded on with the normal commercial releases unless they are, or were, released in stereo...those stereo releases came later. Some films you may acquire might not even have a balance stripe...and will make a lot more noise while projecting. I'll anticipate being corrected on some of the points I attempted to make. [Wink]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I´m learning so much!!!

So the balance stripe is mainly used to balance the film and not for recording or audio purposes.

very interesting,

but if so,

super 8 is intended then for mono sound and not stereo?

or is it possible to have a stereo main track only???

or is it that films that have stereo sound must use both tracks ?? main and balance.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 10, 2006 08:25 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The balance stripe was originally intended to, well, balance the film as it runs through the gate, but since it has the exact same properties as the main stripe, there was no reason not to use it for recording, so newer super-8 projectors with twin-track and stereo capabilities were soon developed.
You do need both tracks to have true stereo sound on your film... many films are monaural but have both tracks, but only the main stripe carries sound - the balance stripe is simply left silent.
Your Chinon SP-350 will not be able to rerecord films into stereo; as you've already discovered it can only record one channel at a time (or the same mono signal to both tracks simultaneously).

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo,

Welcome.
I think that
you will like it here,
and visit often.
[Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 11:29 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum is so cool!

Thanks guys (I hope this doesn`t mean that we´re geek´s or nerd but o well call me a nerd this super 8 stuff is so cool! any way think of it that 15 years ago to be into computers one was called nerd, now it means you´re cool, ha!)

Anyway is there anyway I can tweek my chinon to record on both tracks at the same time,

I say this because since the flick of the track selection is only an electrical thing not a mechanicanical thing (no mecanical things movie to movie the heads or sometning) so maybe one could loop with a wire connection or something so both heads record at the same time, Could i be right. o not?

Then with the cable line in I could record a stereo soundtrack.

I don´t know ?

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2006 01:59 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I hope this doesn`t mean that we´re geek´s or nerd but o well call me a nerd this super 8 stuff is so cool!
Geeks and nerds always win and get the girl in the end. Always. We rule. 'Nuf said.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2006 02:03 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo, you'll need a stereo machine to record in stereo. It is possible with some twin-track machines to record and playback in stereo too but whatever, to get stereo playback you will have to purchase another machine. If you really get into the hobby and decide you'd like stereo sound seek advice on here first.

In the meantime you may like to do a search for 'sync pulse' and 'crystal sync' to learn on what other sound wonders you can get up to on Super 8.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 11, 2006 02:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Pablo, welcome to the forum.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Pablo,Welcome to the forum.If you have'nt guessed already
your in with a great bunch of guys.
They will help you out whenever they can.Andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 11, 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Pablo, Welcome to the forum and you have bought us up to 600 members.

You Cant use the Chinon for recording in stereo. Although the machine is twin track machine and has the two heads it only has the elcotronic circuits for recording in mono. You need a pupose built Stereo projector which has two playback amplifers and two recordimg circuits.

Projectors which fit the bill are the Noris 342, Elmo GS1200 & 800 and also the Sankyo 800 just to name a few. I'm sure others will be able to add to this list and most can be found on eBay at some time or the other.

Anyway enjoy the forum. Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 11, 2006 11:12 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lemme come up with some stereo-capable machines off the top of my head...

Elmo GS800, GS1200
Chinon SS1200 a.k.a. Revue Lux Sound 80
Yelco something-3600
Eumig 938 and 940, also 926GL (but the 926GL has a coaxial reel arrangement and no sprocket wheel before the film claw, so it can be rough on film and not recommended)
Bauer T430 Servo Stereo, T60, T600 and T610
Silma Memory Stereo 90
Sankyo Stereo-800
Goko RM-8008 (actually an editor, not a projector, but with true stereo recording capability, the only one of its kind)
Beaulieu 708-EL Stereo/Studio (not 708-EL dual-track)
Braun Visacustic 1000 and 2000 (There is a Visacustic 100 but I'm not sure if it does stereo as well)
Porst sound 215 stereo
Heurtier stereo 42

I think that's about all of them...

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2006 06:24 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo-

A good comprimise, until you can get a stereo machine, would be to run an auxilary "line out" from track one, into a stereo amplifier. Then you can at least have a left and right speaker on each side of the screen.

Also, you can purchase a "stereo simulator" unit, usually for under $50, and this will at least give close to a stereo quality sound. This is almost like having the reel thing!

Nick.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 12, 2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stereo simulators - not a bad idea, but depending on the particular soundtrack being treated to such an effect, the results could range anywhere from impressive to headache-inducing, also these tend to add an echo effect to spoken dialogue, sort of as everyone was suddenly perched inside a ceramic-tiled bathroom. [Big Grin]

Of course I DID manage to forget another stereo-capable projector: the Noris 342 Stereo. [Roll Eyes] Then there's the Yelco DL-630EL, much the same as the Porst sound 215 stereo (which is really a licensed version of the Yelco).
Some of these turn up rather often on eBay Germany, and there are some good deals out there usually. Just make sure that if you decide to go for one of these, to make sure the projector handles multi-voltage AC power, for worldwide adaptability.

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2006 02:55 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo

Welcome to the forum, it's always great to see a new member join and you must be the first from Chile!

I was in Chile for a couple of weeks earlier this year, we stayed mostly in Santiago and then had a week on Easter Island. Wonderful. Certainly hoping to get back to South America at some point in the future.

Enjoy

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC