8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A Super Evening

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Super Evening
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 13, 2006 10:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading some very interesting posts lately,it prompted me to run some film the other night. I started with a 800ft reel of extracts from Fantasia starting with the trl, Soundtrack demo, Pastoral Symphony, Dance of the Hours, and finishing with The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I enjoyed it that much I ran it a few more times, although I have been mucking around with super 8 for a few years now, I am still amazed over the quality that can be achieved from that small frame, my second 800ft reel The Grasshopper and the Ants 1934, The Last Battleship, Tom and Jerry Tee for Two, Disney Motor Mania, and finishing with a very interesting short Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway. One thing I have been doing is adding the Mr Bean intro the do's and dont's of visiting the cinema at the start of a film programme, I removed it from begining of Spirit Of America,a 200 footer Derann released a few years ago. I finished the evening with some films I bought back in the 70s Mickey Mouse The First Fifty Years silver addition, slightly faded but you would hardly notice it, Evening with Lady and the Tramp a beautiful extract, and finishing the night with one of my all time favourite The Dwarfs Dilemma, still with exellent colour after all those years well that was my night at the movies. two other exellent extracts from Fantasia worth getting from Derann are The Nutcracker Suite, and Night on Bald Mountain, well this post is not meant to be a film review just a ramble as to what I watched the other night, and I hope to read what you like to watch when your wintry nights set in and the projector comes out or is it already?
Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 13, 2006 10:41 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

what a great post. Thanks for sharing your impromptu cine evening program with us. [Smile] This pretty much sums up what super-8 is all about... just having fun at the movies, and enjoying unique films as they were shown back in the day - some of which you couldn't even get on DVD (or would have to be a very experienced disc jockey to be able to show in the same manner, anyhow). Pure, unadultered cinema, with no electronic wizardry to replace the magic borne of film. [Smile]

BTW - as for me, my home theater installation is permanent - and finally complete, as I have just today routed a 50ft audio cable along the ceiling from the Elmo all the way to the screen (and behind it) where it connects to the main amplifier and stereo speakers. What more, I got my scope lens to fit into the bracket, despite the fact that bracket has a 52mm diameter and the lens only has a 43mm rear barrel. (Turns out the *center* part of the lens is just about 52mm large.)

This coming fall/winter, life will be good indeed. [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2006 03:06 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

Thanks for sharing that with us, it's always good to hear what other people show during their film evenings. It makes you want to set up your screen and projector and get a couple of friends in to see a few flicks.

I think that as Jan says, one of the novelty factors of Super 8 is all the shorts available that make a film show so varied, you can also sense an audiences mood and make your selection of 200fters depending on what seems to be going down well on the evening.

For me though it's the magic of the light show and the softly purring projector that makes it all so fascinating.

Most of my films are still packed away following my year out so I can't have a proper cine fix at the moment, but I did manage to do a little impromptu show at a friends house a couple of nights ago using the Sankyo 800, the films I shot on Kodachrome during the first 6months of our trip now edited onto 2x400ft reels and the Madagascar Penguins from Derann which, with the help of another forum member I managed to buy whilst I was away.

It was a good show and certainly gave me the urge to get all my films out again. I'm now looking forward to getting the GS out and putting on a full feature presentation with support films and maybe popcorn and ice-cream in the interval.

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following the idea of this post, I have tonight just completed a grand film show using a pair of ST1200HD's connected to a Yamaha Pro Logic system powered by a pair of Carver amps (L, R, C & SW):

Starting in cinemascope

Reel 1:
Winter Jamboree short on winter carnival time in new Hampshire USA
Boundin very funny cartoon short naked sheep rescued by a jackalope
Cocacola comercial - neat film show on 35mm home movies
Star Wars Revenge of the Sith trailer

"changeover"

Reel 1 Lady and the Tramp scope/stereo

"changeover"

Reel 2 Lady and the Tramp scope/stereo

"changeover"

Intermission USA - a Derann release vintage snackbar adds USA Drive In theater - included very rare footage 2 campaigns about Pay TV (the introduction of cable television); also a short on GMRX very early movie ratings

Bugs Bunny Ballott Box Bunny a very funny Yosemite Sam cartoon. If you can find a print get it and put in to your program week of November 11th USA vote for a crook day

Casablanca trailer
Conan the Barbarian trailer
ET the Extra Terrestrial trailer
Rolling Stones Let's Spend the Night Together trailer

"changeover"

Reel 1 Dark Star a spaced out odessy by John Carpenter. Very funny but very weird

"changeover"

Reel 2 Dark Star

Total non stop screen time 3 hours 20 minutes

Theme show: A NIGHT AT THE DRIVE IN

I must do this again boy it was lots of fun

[Big Grin] [Smile]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 16, 2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and the misses watched Last Train From From Gun Hill last night. One of Julie Geisler's prints from her grandfather's collection. Very sharp focus(is it safe to say it looked like 16mm). Fair to good eastman color(the detail and sharpness made up for that). What a fine adult western drama from 59' with Kirk Douglas, Anthony Quinn, Earl Holliman and Carolyn Jones. Not a dull moment in this one. YeeeHawwwww!(forgive me)

That chip is really in to it! Keep up the fine film fare Chip.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC