8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Our Relations on Super 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Our Relations on Super 8mm
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 03, 2007 05:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bidding on a copy of "Our Realtions" (Laurel and Hardy). Was this released as a 3X400 feature or 4x400?

I ask as some of the Blackhawk Laurel and Hardy features were released 3X400, as it was thier original running time, but some are 4X400. This film appears to have roginally been 73 minutes, but I get the feeling that sometimes Blackhawk shortened some of thier features a little.

Inquiring minds want to know!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2007 02:26 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Not sure about Blackhawk, but the Walton version is a 3x400' release, but as they always seemed to trim their L&H's to fit that benchmark, I'm not surprised. I thought Blackhawk tried to release as near complete editions on 8mm (and 16mm) as possible, so if the true running time is 70 odd minutes then I would think a Blackhawk release would be a 4x400' edition.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 04, 2007 09:05 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was 4X400', though of course not full, the 3X400' editions were CHUMP AT OXFORD, the complete version, then PARDON US, SAPS AT SEA and BLOCKHEADS

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 04, 2007 09:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a curiosity. I won it and only noticed after the fact that this is a (strangely enough) SILENT edition of this feature. Did Blackhawk do a silent version of this film? I know that they did silent versions of Laurel and Hardy I reel short subjects, but did they ever release silent versions of thier sound films? If it was redone at 18 fps, then it would only be three reels.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 04, 2007 04:39 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a sound print or a DVD or somesuch, perhaps you can run that and see if the print equals that in length for a test - Anyway it's an idea

Norman Fisher
Junior

- posted January 07, 2007 01:08 PM      Profile for Norman Fisher   Email Norman Fisher       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Blackhawk did make silent prints of the L&H features. I still have Saps at Sea in regular 8 silent I got in 1974. If you have the soundtrack of Our Relations, it will be difficult to match up, because of the Blackhawk title cards that are inserted. Plus, Blackhawk did snip scenes out here and there on the silent features. Back in '74 I taped Saps at Sea off of the TV with a cassette player, and attempted to run it at the same time. My 8mm had variable speed so the match up worked for a bit but with the snippets Blackhawk made in the print I could never keep it in sync!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2007 02:19 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Blackhawk did indeed release
a full length silent version
of Our Relations, and Saps at Sea.
Saps at Sea was mounted on 2x400' reels.
I do not know the contents of the Silent
version full length - Our Relations.

The Silent version of Saps at Sea,
deleted the scenes which were
sound gags as a visual effect.

For instance, Ollies house has
mixed up problems with the household
appliances. The radio is frozen, but
when the refrigerator ice box door is opened
it plays music.

Blockheads and Way Out West
were silent 400 foot abridgements.

Blackhawk also released sound abridgments
of Blockheads, The Bohemian Girl, Way Out West,
and Sons of The Desert.
If I remember correctly they were
titled: Better Now, or Do It Yourself, Gyp the Gypsy,
Wacky West and Fun on the Run.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC