8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fuji changed decision: Production of Single-8 films will go on

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuji changed decision: Production of Single-8 films will go on
Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2007 02:56 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The japanese photo brand Fuji retracts a former statement to stop the production of Single-8 films. On January 10th Fuji announced: "Our Single-8 films both R25N and RT200N were going to finish the production in March 2007 and its processing service was going to finish in September 2008. However due to the consumer's strong wish, we decided to change our plan and continue the film production and processing service. The sales quantities of the Single-8 is decleasing, also it is necesary to repair the film production machine and processing machine, therefore I would like to ask the customer to understand raising the price."

Tak Kohyama, owner of the Japanese company retro8.com, explained: "There was a lot of protest from professional film directors and amateurs here in Japan. Newspapers like Asahi published articles about the protest. The public made Fuji change his mind." More details in the next issue of smallformat.

Jürgen Lossau
www.smallformat.de

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 10, 2007 04:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant news. Kodak should take a leaf out of their book.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2007 06:15 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aagghh,

Shall I sell my super 8 and standard 8 cameras and buy a single 8 one - - - or stay as I am??

Decisions, decisions, decisions. [Confused]

Now the true meaning of my signature comes into its own. [Big Grin]

Juergen, there is a PM for you.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 05:14 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BRILLIANT!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 11:26 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is an amazing decision. I have read it several times. A major multi-national corporation listening to consumer protest about the withdrawl of a product.

I congratulate Fuji and wish them great success in the future with Single 8. No doubt this sevice has been marginal at best in recent years, but as Kodak have learnt, it is an important stepping stone to all of their other professional motion picture products.

Remember both Fuji and Kodak have enjoyed bumper years with 35mm release print film, and whilst this will diminish somewhat in future years that side of the business is a long way from dead. The small guages are the entry point for current and future film-makers.

With the collapse of other Kodak film based products, that had long supported Super 8 Kodachrome, it is significant that Kodak launched a new Super 8 product in 64T. Fuji no doubt have seen the importance of this product in its offering and even if it has a marginal business case going forward, it is indeed one of the foundations of the company.

I should point out that I am a Kodak Ektachrome 64T Super 8 seller here in Australia and I have seen sales continue to increase over the last year. It really is an excellent product (like Fuji) and has vibrant colour and great latitude.

Wise decision Fuji, you deserve congratultions.

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 04:54 AM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
time to go single 8!!!!!, Kodak take note!, still amazes me that kodak has ceased all manufacture of cine kodachrome, now they've shut their Swiss lab , surely they could still offer non-processed paid kodachrome to their customers. Certainly the fuji material offered in the single 8/ super 8 format is a lot more mouth watering than kodaks poor 64t stock.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 09:09 AM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the best news in years!
I have a huge collection of single-8 camera's.
This system was very popular in the Netherlands, so it isn't difficult to find the cheaper models.
Of course the more expensive models are hard to find.
I finally have the Fujica ZC-1000, the Elmo 8S-800 and the Konica 6-TL (and of course many others).
I'm still looking for the Canon 518 SV. Does any one have a 518 SV for sale?
As soon as I can afford it, I will order a lot of Fuji films.
Many thanks to Fuji!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC