8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Suggestions for a Compact and nice super 8 silent Camera Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggestions for a Compact and nice super 8 silent Camera Please
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 28, 2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I`m planning on filming the nippers a bit more on Cine this year, but unfortunately loaned my nice bolex sound camera out and the chap has now moved!!! its no worries mind as fancy asmall silent one.
Can anyone suggest a modestly sized camera for silent super 8 that still does the business as fancy trying the new fuji cartridge out. A Small zoom would be a bonus.
While I`m on anyone know how that stock is going.
Many thanks Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 28, 2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I wish I could give you a definitive name and model number, but, as you know, you can't go wrong with a Bolex.
A good Eumig is great as well. The nice thing about the big names is that even thier lower budget models far outclassed the best of the lower crapola brands.

Good luck in your search!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2007 03:13 PM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, which filmstock do you plan to use? if you stick with fuji 50, then go for a canon 310xl, then you can shoot in the living room with say 100-150 watt lite and get an image. Canon 514xl has a sharper lens. Are you looking for manual exposure or 24fps?. BTW, don't overlook super 8 k40, Dwaynes processing is excellent. As for the availability of fuji 50, my order with GK dates back to May 2006 (and paid for )and still no sign of the order!!. Recently purchased some fuji 50 from Retro in Japan, now awaiting the results. Another option is standard 8 and use cinechrome 40, get Dwaynes to process the film. Probably workout cheaper than the super 8 E6 option. ( also greater longevity of the image being kodachrome ). Noticed that Wittner still have stocks of standard 8 k25, that will give you better images than any of the current super 8 E6 stocks ( except in theory fuji 50 ).

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 29, 2007 03:36 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andy thanks, yes I was hoping to try the 50 ASA fuji being put into msuper 8 cartridges, is there a problem with it????
Anyone know how much it costs to buy fuji now, I wouldn`t mind one of those nice little P2s derann were selling new a few yars ago.
Had alook on german ebay and agaf seem to do a nice little one, the 300, also Eumig do some small ones.
Many thanks Mark.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2007 03:58 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,I'd go for a Minolta Autopak 8.Probably get one for twenty bucks.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2007 06:32 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

when 18fps is all you need:
Super8:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Elmo_103_T_Super
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Elmo_Super_103
(The other Elmo Supers (104, 106, 108 (M), 110 (R)) can shoot at 24fps, too, but are much heavier. And some of these models a hard-to-find coin cell for the light-meter).
Single8:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Fujica_P2
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Fujica_P2_Zoom
The two versions of the P300 are nice and small, too, but require a hard-to-find coin cell for the light-meter:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Fujica_P300_New
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Fujica_P300

BTW: The Elmo Supers are e64t-compatible. And the mentioned Fujicas are working with the Cinevia and the other filmstock from Retro, too.

Jörg

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard that there was a problem with sticky cartridges with fuji 50 cinevia. Received my first results of the fuji 50 today from Andec. No jitter or sticky cartridge problems. Images are stunning, very sharp, yes the stock is sharper than k40. The jury is out on whether the stock is sharper than double super 8 k25!!. I have now tried wittner 100d, cinevia and 64t. IMO kodak 64T is absolute rubbish (unless you want a grainy soft focus home movie look)wittner 100d is ok, but as i found with 16mm 100d, the stock seems to lack the resolving power of k40/k25. Another two users of 100d feel the same, unless you shoot BCU 100d lacks sharpness. The best stock out there by a mile is the fuji 50, buy at least one cart, just to see how good super 8 can be. Purchased my fuji from Retro Enterprises.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2007 09:52 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

I sell cameras here in Australia and always recommend Canons. Minoltas, some Agfa and Eumig are OK too. Remember many cameras these days won't recognise the new Kodak 64T Ektachrome, including the Canon 310 xl and 514 xls. Canon 518SV and 814 are excellent cameras with top quality lenses but maybe a little large for your use.

The lowest cost and easiest to find super 8 film is 64T. It is an excellent stock with vivid colours and excellent grain structure and saturation. Shoot it with a good camera like a Canon in sunlight and the results are superb.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 31, 2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good advice everyone, not taken the plunge yet.
A lot to think about stock and what the camera can read as well.
Many thanks once again.
Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC