8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My first Short film any recomendations on filming with canon 814

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first Short film any recomendations on filming with canon 814
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2007 12:08 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys

I will soon be shooting my film super 8 short.

I´m really enthusiastic on filming this story I wrote a few years ago and luckly have found great locations, help from many friends etc. but no one has any experience on filming super 8.

I have a canon 814 I want to shoot with and plan to use ektachrome film.

Any recomendations on filming with this gear, and things I should lookout for, lighting scenes etc, what about the camera how will it perform.

thanks guys

|  IP: Logged

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, which film stock do you plan to use? If you are considering kodak 64t, expect a fairly grainy image compared to witter 100d or fuji cinevia. Try at least one test cartridge and project your results before you start your project. If the image is slightly blue, and you are filming with 64t, obtain a 85b filter and use this filter instead of the cameras in built filter. Can only comment on a canon 814xl-s, great images, superb auto exposure, only downside to the canon is, images go slightly soft when the camera is used around f1.4-3.5.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 09:48 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo,

I personally shoot with a Canon 814XLS and also have other 814's and 814 Electronics. They are an excellent camera and work very well with Kodak 64T. I sell Canon cameras and shoot plenty of film myself and love the look of 64T. Saturated colours, high sharpness and fine grain.

All of the 814 series recognise the 64 ASA speed and have many features, the best being the excellent lens. The Canon 814/1014 lens is 2nd in my opinion only to the Schneider used on Beaulieus. The lens balsoms are very stable and the multi-coated lenses retain their blooming, more than can be said for many other lenses.

The only Canon lens downfall is the dreaded fungus. This takes the form of spots, fog or a fern-like pattern. All cameras are prone to this problem especially in hunid climates. In Australia we alway say don't buy used camera gear from anywhere north of Sydney, the humidity just ruins the lenses over time.

To get the best out of the 64T and your Canon try to shoot in sunlight, the colours will dazzle. It is good advice to shoot a test roll first.

David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 01:50 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
Will the Canon 512XLE work OK with the new Kodak 64T film, have been thinking of getting the camera up and running again, is the film expensive?.

Regards Graham.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2007 05:42 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

Your Canon 512 XL Electronic does recognise 64 asa film. Interestingly the later 514 and 514 XLS do not. I'm sure you'll love the look of the new 64T.

David

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 12, 2007 07:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s great to read we have a new film maker in our midst and looking to produce a film. Within my video productions business we regularly take media students on placement from University, and you will gather from my interest in cine that I tend to get them used to film rather than video. The reason is that I have found they learn far quicker about the mechanics of editing than looking at the computer timeline.

My tip would be to keep it simple. The simplest stories often have the best impact, and are the simplest to produce…Sometimes.

A good start is to make a film about a hobby or interest. Perhaps you go to some sort of fitness club, walking group at weekends, or just maybe you want to make a narrative film. If it’s the latter look across the internet and contact anyone who is posting film scripts as you may find they will offer you a short story. Many unknown scrip writers will offer up short scripts just to get the thing made.

Another way to go about it would be to make a film on holiday to get the continental feel. I have done this having set a full day to one side, and I know forum member Graham Sinden has also done one with a James Bond theme.

You have a good camera and hopefully a tripod to use which will keep those shots steady. If you have an editor, tape splicer and projector you are almost there.

The soundtracks I put together for my own cine films are made on the business reel time edit system. I complete the film edit then do a rough telecine onto DV tape. Capture this into the video editing software so that I can sync up sound effects etc on the timeline, then I record this direct to stereo stripe on the cine film and adjust the variable speed control I fitted to the Sankyo 800 projector to keep the images in sync with the sound. I used to use a tape deck which is now collecting dust as the quality down to stripe from digital is superb. My entry to the 9.5mm International Film Festival last year was produced in this way and it won! Yippee..

Hope the above is of help, and its back to work for me now as my lunch break has just ended. Good luck.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC