8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Is it me or.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it me or.....
Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2007 12:51 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a sudden surge for everything 8mm at the moment on ebay,everything seems to be selling at very high prices.

From films to speakers to stands it's just gone nuts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300085335318&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120093155329&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110097538807&rd=1&rd=1

Great for the sellers but for us collector's it's a bit worrying.

Time to sit back and wait for this sudden frenzy to blow over [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There does seem to be a sudden increase in prices for super 8 stuff, not sure if we should be worried or see it as a good sign of increased interest in the hobby [Confused]

That projector stand going for over 40 squid was outrageous; they can often be picked up from car boot sales and charity shops for around a tenner [Eek!] .

I watched this Sankyo 702: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003 &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130083267200&rd=1&rd=1 and was amazed to see it sell for £226, with postage it was nearer £250 and yet it is the smaller, mono version of the Sankyo 800 which rarely breaks the £200 mark.

Puzzling indeed.

Mike

ps. have you seen the rest of the stuff the guy selling the GS 1200 has on offer? Some nice equipment there in its original packaging.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jason Redmond
Junior

- posted March 07, 2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Jason Redmond   Email Jason Redmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice stuff indeed, and nice final prices too! £380 for a Eumig s940 that I had my eye on - that's at least £100 over priced by my reckoning - although people may disagree. I was recently outbid for a 200' Roadrunner cartoon that ended up going for £23!! The world's gone mad, and I'm staying well out of it for a while, I think. [Eek!]

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2007 02:51 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i too watched that Sankyo 702 and nearly fell off my chair,especially when the B&H projector went for £114

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200082875243&rd=1&rd=1

On another note i was chatting with Lee about a Eumig S940 on the bay and when really looking at the photo's you could see some serious issue's with it,the lamp house screw is badly churned which could mean the projector has seen alot of use and one of the sliders (volume controls)is missing.
Lee's guide price was around £150 but these things did not bother the bidders:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120093155285&rd=1&rd=1

I suppose your right and it's good for the hobby with all the busy business going on.
I don't think were going to pick up any bargains at the moment though and we all love a bargain [Big Grin]

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What on earth is going on:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120093230666&rd=1&rd=1

[Confused]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 07, 2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I been watching our NZ site "Trade Me" and noticed some of the prices that people are getting for 8mm equipment cameras and projectors, years ago much of the stuff would have got thrown out "not now" there is a definite increase in interest, and as a result so is the price, what people are doing with it beats me [Roll Eyes] might be video is on its way out, [Frown] and film is on its way in [Big Grin]
 -

Graham [Smile]

[ March 07, 2007, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 07, 2007 09:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As already stated, it's great to see some sudden interest. maybe people are finally catching on to what we have already known all along ... super 8 is not only still around, it's even better ....

Better image quality, better sound and a damn sight better than
($@#*!!!!) video!!!

One thing I am happt about. Except for the occasional feature, I pretty much have everything i want print wise, so I don't have to compete with a lot of idiots with too much money for a treasured print.

Now where are those crummy old prints I can pawn off on these suckers?

(snicker snicker!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 07, 2007 11:01 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, it's a Global conspiracy. The rising numbers in membership on this forum along denote a conspirancy is in progress. A take-over as the world has never seen before. Just last night when viewing my darkened lawn with my night vision binoculars from my secret room in the attic, I saw tiny aliens with hand held 8mm cameras looking back. [Eek!] Persons, who will remain nameless, are working in unison with these aliens to convert all human life as we know into super 8 robots. Every thought and action in the near future will be dictated by the flicker of a three blade shutter and and magnetic impulses from an analogue head. Bolt your doors and shutter your windows. Stock up on dehydrated foods and bottled water. And what ever you do, don't fall asleep...don't fall asleep..don...'t..fa...ll....a.............................................................................................................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 08, 2007 10:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it, I do have four month's worth of canned foods. (and a years worth of Latte packets!)

Any interest is good interest. I think, personally, all jokes aside, as people get more disgusted with modern life in general, the nolstalgia will kick in and they will long for the sound of thier parents projector and will run out and collect super 8 again.

But my theory is that these will be short term collectors, as they will turn away from long term collecting, as many of us are. Nolstalgia will only carry you so far. It's the love of celluloid itself that carries you on, as Doug, Kevin, Joe, Dan or any ogther number of collectors will verify.

You know you have a dyed in the wool film freak when he doesn't even need a projector to enjoy film, he'll just unspool a bunch and look with a lense/eyepiece to verify colour, ect.

Yes, just lying in a big pile of celluloid on the floor, yum!

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 08, 2007 10:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, Your starting to sound like Mark Todd....he loves the feel of it especially the polyester sort [Big Grin]

Which reminds me we havent seen Mark for a while either.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO there are several reasons for this phenomenon:
a) The Ektachrome 64T made some cameras obsolete, so a lot of people are now trying to get a new camera that can handle that film.
b) Several cameras require some hard-to-find coin-cells for their exposure meters, hence they're getting replaced (especially in combination with "a)").
c) The Ektachrome and the other new E6-films enables the local lab to process the film in a couple of hours. So you don't have to send your film to Dwaynes or Kodak Switzerland anymore = you don't have to wait weeks for your films anymore. (Not to mention that you can even home-process the new film-stocks!)
d) You can even buy negative film stock from Kodak now.
e) The video-transfer (aka telecine) got much better and cheaper.
f) It's "hip" to shoot your skater-/music-video on film to get "that film look". So there are even buyers completely new to film.

The above facts caused new and more interest on cameras on eBay. But soon the camera-buyers noticed that there are cheap projectors on eBay as well. Hence the interest (even in silent projectors) is suddenly increasing... I wonder how long this effect will last?

Jörg

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2007 02:13 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe old Mark is moving house Kevin. That's what I heard from him when we last spoke - he had hurt his foot on something during the move. He's probably soaking it in Theromfilm at this very moment to take away the pain!

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 09, 2007 08:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or hey, how about using some well cleaned but old abused film as dental floss. hey, it gets everything out from between them choppers!

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2007 05:36 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi fellow members.What has gone on on ebay and super8 projectors?.
I still dont believe what the sankyo702 went for.Some people must have more money than sense.Andy.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 11, 2007 05:55 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Yes I`m mid move and midd hobble and mid usual cash crisis etc. Counting the cost for living rurally as a tractor drove me into a pot hole the size of the grand canyon, crunch snap bang etc. Scenery is still good mind.
Some of these prices are crazy, that 700 was mad. I couldn`t bring myself to charge the chap for it if I was selling it.
Not long ago a 700 was going for about £65-75 which is enough really a 702 about a ton is right.
Not sure why things have gone mad, theres no shortage at all after all.
Also lots of people are selling machines they know little about, bitten myself badly like that not so long ago.
They should just look in the local free ads paper and get one for £25 or not much more which is probaly what many of the sellers have done.
Probably like the housing market which is also likely to come down with a resounding crash.
Best Mark.
PS lovely cuddly LPP

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC