8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Rabbit Stew, an interesting cartoon ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rabbit Stew, an interesting cartoon ....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 12, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recieved a Blackhawk print (LPP film stock, great colour), of "Rabbit Stew", a cartoon made the Eric Porter studio in Australia. While it dfoesn't merit a full fledged review, it is of slight interest.

As always, Blackhawk did an outstanding transfer, with beautiful colours. Eric Porters studio did two cartoons for Columbia pictures way back in 1951 (or 2?) and never did anymore cartoons for any american studio's. It becomes apparent as to why.

The animation, though 1951, looks like early 1930's animation, very poor and quite jerky. At first, i thought that this was done in someones garage, (maybe so), but it was done by a studio. It really doesn't measure up well in almost any department. (There are two at least decent gags in the film, but there are so poorly timed that they are an embarressment.)

Still, it is interesting to have a print of an almost completely unseen cartoon.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 13, 2007 12:25 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just knew that Blackhawk also released films in color. How many of them. And what a sort of box they put for color films (Osi can you post the box, please).

Last but not least, if in B/W films, the Blackhawk's is guaranteed to be that good, does this also apply for their color releases (in terms of sharpnes and fade).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 13, 2007 09:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I'm sorry that I can't post the photo, I probably have the capability, but I just don't know how. Suffice to say, this was issued in the later beautiful silver boxes stating "From the Blackhawk collection" (with the "medal" enscribed with a big "B". On the side of the box, it states
"Blackhawk : films, sound, video" and then the address for the company, so this verifies the lateness of this release.

The earlier colour releases by Blackhawk were sadly on Eastman's bad stock, so they are subject to fade, but the last year or two's one of prints were on Eastman LPP, and these prints are absolutely brilliant in colour, and nearly no noe could be the sharpness of thier colour prints. I also have a late LPP print of the 15 minute animated short "The Littlest Angel" in colour from Blackhawk and the same is true of it, brilliant!

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2007 07:25 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall that sometime in the 1960s or 1970s some of the old Warner Bros. black and white cartoons were "colorized" for the TV syndication packages. These cartoons were primatively colorized, and it appeared that frames were omitted in order to speed the colorization process, lending the films a jerky, limited animation look to them. (The overall effect was horrible -- they should have just stuck with the B&W cartoons.)

Maybe this was one of those cartoons?

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2007 07:45 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey winbert i will check my copy out tomorrow and see what box it came in and post it i do have two other cartoons that blackhawk released.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2007 05:32 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

Your Rabbit Stew cartoon was made in 1930! There was a later cartoon called "All This and Rabbit Stew" made in 1951 by Terrytoons. Eric Porter was an animation pioneer both here in Australia and the world. Remember it was made in 1930 in colour!

Columbia may have licenced it or re-licenced it in the early 1950's, hence the confusion. It is a real find as today his works are in copyright limbo; a TV network bought the studio, but his wife may retain copyright.

David

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2007 09:49 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 1941 Warners cartoon "All This and Rabbit Stew" directed by Tex Avery (Release Sept 13th) which is on the "offical banned" Warner list since it deals with Bugs out smarting a little black boy. It was released on regular 8mm sound by AAP back in the early 1960s.

Couldn't find a 1961 Terrytoons title by that name in "Of Mice and Magic" by Leonard Maltin.

Had the AAP release back then.

John

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 14, 2007 10:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an interesting thought, that it was made in the 1930's. The only problem is that, while the character design and animation look like 1930's stilted animation, the clothes design, as well as background design has a 1950's appearance to it. If you look at the design level of your average 1930's cartoon, (even Disney), the background design wasn't that elaborate. The cartoon database says 1952. You may be right however.

Yes, the Warners cartoons, (black and white) were re-colored by a film company in Korea in the 1970's and they did leave out numerous film cels in order to re-color them in quick sucession, and the results were horrifying. The Betty Boop as well as Krazy Cat's of the thirties were re-colored as well, and these re-colored cartoons are not even a good comparison to the original masterpieces.

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2007 02:28 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Winbert I tried to post a picture but it is so diffifcult to do i will email you the picture

--------------------
jim schrader

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 18, 2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is picture that Jim tried to post.

-

thanks Jim.

Anyway, posting pictures is quite easy. If you find the word "Click here to upload an image" then you click on that and there is another message there. However, your picture cannot be that size (ps your original size was too big). You have to reduce it using (for example) the MS Paint (on your computer click on "Start" > "Programs" > "Accesoris" > "Paint"). At MS Paint you will see (click on) "Image" then choose "Stretch/Skew".

Try to Strech "Horizontal" and "Vertical" to be 50.

And upload now to the forum.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 18, 2007 07:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good shot of a box, but my box was the Silver boxes used late in the game by Blackhawk.

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks for that tip Winbert. [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC