8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Star Wars Releases

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars Releases
Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2007 09:55 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I just had a couple questions:

1) The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi features, are they the Special Edition ones from 1997 or the originals from '80 and '83?

2) I'm thinking about making box covers for the Return of The Jedi release and the Empire, what are they mounted on 400' reels 600'?

3) Was a there a feature length version of A new hope or are the only feature length's Empire, Jedi, and Sith (comming soon)

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2007 02:28 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie,

All the 8mm prints available are from the original cut of each film, and 2 out of 3 of the F/L prints come on 600' reels, only "Return of the Jedi" comes on 400's.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2007 02:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
ERNIE,In answer to your questions
The original STAR WARS,EMPIRE,AND JEDI were all released on super8.
Empire was a german release,with english sound.
I think those films were released on 400ft reels.
Jedi is still availble.
SITH will be a german release too.Andy.
Thanks there Barry.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 22, 2007 02:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie, the original Star Wars was a beautiful Derann release on 4 x 600 ft. Strangely, the cover art was a RotJ poster.
RotJ is on 7 x 400ft.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2007 10:27 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ok, cool. It would be interesting to see Extract of those cut scenes. Not even the ones that made it into the movie, but the ones that Lucas never included on any realease.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Jason Redmond
Junior

- posted April 22, 2007 10:27 AM      Profile for Jason Redmond   Email Jason Redmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Ernie,
If you're feeling flush you can still purchase new prints of Empire Strikes Back from Classic - I can't remember how much I paid but I was poor for a while afterwards!! (and seeing the title scroll come up in German was fairly amusing too!)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2007 03:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. That makes me wonder if a certian ROTS will have German titles or will it be american?

Even though I own the original 1977 STAR WARS, I still like pulling out my STAR WARS extracts, both scopes and flat, as there is such Nolstalgia in my heart for them.

But strangely, I don't feel the same way about my extracts from Empire. I think that this is further proof that what makes a film endearing to you is not just the film, but the exact environment and timing of the film. It hits a certian special spot for you.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2007 06:42 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a German release? I thought ROTS was CHC?

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2007 10:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is supposed to be a CHC release, but it may be from German prints. I had heard that "Empire Strikes Back" had german subtitles, and it is also coming from german labs, (well, that has nothing to do with it). I had heard from another forum member that his "Empire" feature has the opening scroll in german.

It's possible, but I'm hoping from beginning to end, it's in English.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 23, 2007 01:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I saw one reel of the super 8 print of ESB some time ago and I don't remember german subtitles, only the opening scroll.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2007 01:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just the beginning and end titles plus the scroll that are in German.

And thank God all three films are the original version. Such a shame Return of the Sith was such rubbish... but perhaps I shouldn't have passed opinion on that.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I agree. The amount of green screening in those prequels is ridiculous. And Lucas' writing has gone sour, but it's still Star Wars and it look great on Super8. If I had the cash I'd probably get ROTS. But what about the other CHC releases are they German too? i.e. Indiana Jones and You Only Live Twice

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 23, 2007 05:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but there was blue screening done in the original trilogy, and if Lucas had the special effects of today (CGI)
back then, he would have used them, and we wouldn't have griped too much about them quite frankly, because we would have been used to it.

I'm betting that ROTS is going to look better on film than on DVD, the way we are pretty much used to seeing it. This will no doubt be at least one generation down from the digital masters. I hopt the master negative was made from a 35MM source instead of a 16MM source, not to knowck 16MM. The 16MM prints are stunning these days, but for a film like this, I'd like to see the best possible stunning negative for super 8 prints, as this could very well be a showcase print for just how good a super 8 film can look!

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2007 02:43 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't hold your breath Osi as the film was shot on video and therefore lower quality to start with. The Super 8 releases will undoubtedly come from a 35mm print and should be the usual very good quality from the German lab.

I wish this release every success but it's just not a title I am ever likely to be interested in.

And I don't think George Lucas would have made a film like it if he'd have had the same special effects available to him in 1975 to 76. Even if they were/are good enough I doubt the studio would have let him submit quite such a cartoon. The strong point of Star Wars is its characters with the special effects used to move the story along. I think the special effects were superior then too.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 07:31 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I have the cash $$$ i will definately get the print, but you're right Osi, the green screening will be less noticeable than on DVD. What I didn't like about this film was that the amout of green screening was insane, there were some plain old scenes with people in it and they were shot in front of a green screen just so they didn't need to build a set. Now that's exsessive. If I can spot a computer made environment in a second, it would very post modern of me to say it looks real. Those cgi sets look as real as strawberry candy tastes like real strawberries, and it doesn't. [Razz] But I don't want to get myself too worked up about this haha, bedause the S-8 reales will remedy my grievences. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Six and Bisti

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC