8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S938 bulb connector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig S938 bulb connector
Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement ceramic bulb connector for the Eumig S938? It burned out, even melting one of the bulb pins, and cracking the ceramic housing. [Frown] I am using a voltage transformer to run it, since it is set up for European electricity. It has no 110 element, only 220 through 250, and the connector is soldered to the 220.
I just this morning received the complete BEN HUR, and was screening it when this happened. Bummer [Roll Eyes] I'd be greatful for any help. Thanks Frank

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 01, 2007 12:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,
This is an easy one. First, these ceramic connectors burn out periodically on just about all projectors. So where do you get a new one? At the Home Depot or Lowe's. Go to the lighting section and look for the low voltage TRAC lights. You can pick one up for about $18.00. You need the kind that has a built in transformer at the base of the light, that drops the voltage down to 12 volts for the lamp. Then you can cut the 12 volt lead at the transformer, throw away the transformer and the rest of the light, and you are left with just a 12 volt ceramic holder and a flying lead. All you have to do is cut off the old ceramic holder in the projector and join up the two existing wires in the projector to the two new ceramic holder wires. Since soldering around a projector is a pain in the neck ( and dangerous because solder balls may drop onto circuitry) I have found the best way to do this is to get an insulated teminal strip from Radio Shack. This is a plastic block with two holes for the wires and four screws. You trim the wires and insert them into the block and tighten up the screws. So next time this happens, all you do is loosen the two screws on the lamp side of the block, remove the old lamp holder, and bolt in the new one!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 01, 2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps anyone here in the UK you can get these from

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp;jsessionid=O3LIURNF4IRH1QFIAEXJKBQ
 -

Which is where I have got mine for a few years now. I think they come in packs of 10 at around £8 the last time I purchased a couple of years ago.
Good projecting.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 01, 2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously a much cheaper solution than mine Lee! I have yet to find the stand alone connector in any of the home stores here in the USA, so have had to resort to ripping them out of $18.00 TRAC lights. If anybody knows where you can get the connectors on this side of the Atlantic it would be much appreciated.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 01, 2007 02:57 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know all the Bauer 610/510's are multi voltage. The Eumig 938/940 are not?

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's such a great thing that forum members can rely on each other for help when needed. I just joined recently, finding 8mm Forum, as I was searching for a stereo projector. What a blessing! [Smile] I've been a lifelong collector(50 years, now) of film, and still have most of the films I have bought, from old Castle 8mm silents, to super 8 sound digests, 16mm features, and now super 8 stereo.
Paul, Lee, and Alan, Thanks for your input. I will probably go to Home Depot, since I am anxious to screen BEN HUR, and desire a quick fix.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 01, 2007 07:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lifelong collector, and you only just found this forum? [Smile] Well Frank, you have hit a goldmine of information and support of this great hobby. If you want opinions and test reports on the Eumig 938 you can find them here using the search option. This forum has a lot of members in the UK and Europe. We even have good old Trevor down under in New Zealand. Look for links to the BFCC ( British Film Collectors Convention), and Derann Film Services who distribute fantastic quality new film prints on S8.
A very warm welcome to the forum, great to have you aboard.

Alan has raised a very good point Frank. Why are you running the 938 off a transformer? My 938 manual says that you can change the mains voltage at the projectors transformer by switching the red plug to the appropriate terminal. But you also have to do a mechanical change to compensate for the change of the supply frequency from 50 to 60 hz, and this involves refitting the main drive belt (the manual is vague on this, maybe it just involves swicthing the belt to another pulley). Help anyone?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2007 02:23 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This model must be made exclusively for Europe. It has no connectors for 110 or any other voltage other than 220, 230, 240, and 250. Even the manual I have shows other voltages, but my projector lacks them, so I have to use a transformer

I was able to get the ceramic 2 pin connectors at a local electric store which sells supplies. They were $3.96 each. I bought 5, which should hold me for a while. I connected it with two small wire plugs, but will still look for the terminal at Radio shack.

As far a the BEN HUR print, the 1st reel is out of sync, the sound being behind. Is it difficult to re-record the soundtrack from the DVD. I was thinking of trying it, instead of having to return it.

--------------------

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted May 09, 2007 11:28 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, but how did you find that lampholder on the CPC.Farnell site? I've tried various search terms but its not showing up...

Rob

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 16, 2007 02:45 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only just read your mail. They are not called lamp holders by the way, they are known as Lamp Fittings which may be why you had problems finding. Here is the order code my friend and todays price is £9.22 for a pack of 5. Order Code: LA00290
The technical bit:
DICHROIC GX5.3 BASES,WHITE LEAD
Lamp fitting type:GX5.3
Colour:White
Dimensions:16.8 x 18.6 x 10.3mm
Voltage up to, supply DC:50V
Link to data sheet: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/51219.pdf

Happy Lamp Fitting day !

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted May 16, 2007 07:06 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Lee, much appreciated.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC