8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Goldfinger

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goldfinger
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2007 11:46 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told many years ago that when Derann got the rights to release this title as a feature I think it was in the early 90s? I was once told that the neg's were damaged by the labs. Shortly after it had been released?

Was this when they had a contract with UA back in the late 70s early 80s. Or has this been released again and with drawn quickly because of the neg damage.

I once had a first or second copy from the print run on LPP stock. How I know this is that the count down was scratched in manually?

But since finding a excellent copy on 16mm in Technicolor I unfortunately I had to let it go. Not realising that for some reason the barn section with Pussy galore and MR Bond rolling in the hay, had been cut out from the feature.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 01:01 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I’m resurrecting an old topic and can’t even answer your question Robert, but I’d love to know how your old Derann print held up to your new 16mm Tech print in terms of quality.

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 05:09 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell you this has nothing to do with the UA contract but all down to Uncle Derek and a lawyer of Eon productions.
The print quality was stunning and was one of my favourites in my collection, im sure others who have this will agree with me.

Dave

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did read a somewhat negative review of the Derann print here on the 16mm forums:

quote:
I had a Derann Super Eight LPP "low fade" of "Goldfinger" that I sold earlier this year. I was not happy with the pieced together pre-print. Anyone familiar with this Derann release know's it was from numerous sections of source material. Also it seemed like the aspect ratio was way off on some of these sections. Especially for a flat print.
I think the reason for the varying aspect ratio was the fact that second unit work was shot open matte, while the first unit was hard matted.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 10:55 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Dave [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 04, 2007 03:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have Goldfinger myself on 8mm and re-recorded it into Stereo from the latest Stereo DVD. Looks good on the big screen and the latest audio makes a difference I think. Nice print and the colour has held up very well indeed.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC