8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Here's One for the eyes of Kevin F...............

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here's One for the eyes of Kevin F...............
Ian John
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 07:40 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's this for a souped-up GS.1200. [Eek!]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120181967974&indexURL=3&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Ian.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 09, 2007 08:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Frankenstein's Projector!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 09:48 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to ask about the realistic potential of overloading a machine like this when I see Ian posting the very link!

Seriously, is this a case of supercharging a projector so far that belts become almost a bi-monthly expense and a 'quick start' is only possible with a generous amount of manual help?
Or is the 'big 12' strong enough to run this on a regular basis?

I will admit that the see-through reels are quite impressive in their own way. We are dealing with someone who has spent some time watching Super-8!

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 09, 2007 10:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the reels are kind of cool. I'd like a set of 800 footers myself.

The thing about machines is when they are designed, it's usually for a certain maximum load, and you really can't go double and triple the load without pushing something beyond the point of failure.

It's like tearing the roof off a one story house and building two more stories and a roof on top. Unless you start by doing some serious beefing up of that bottom level you are probably going to wind up with a large pile of randomized lumber pretty soon.

...but can't you imagine that take-up reel at the last moment of rewind: like a big circular saw!

(-assuming the machine is capable of proving enough torque to move the reel that fast and it doesn't simply stall out)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 10, 2007 09:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
What a giant. I would think those poor little motors will be almost struggling towards the end of the reels and I'm sure they would not be able to produce the torque required unless this guy has found different motors?
I wouldn't want to do that to my Xenon as the job of finding replacement motors is near impossible [Frown]

10 out of 10 for effort [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 10, 2007 01:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good, those reels are impressive 3400ft now thats something, [Smile] although I cant imagine the tiny take up motor driving it, [Roll Eyes] unless there is a different type of motor fitted, his buy now price is not unreasonable the projector looks like its been well looked after, a good buy for someone.

Graham.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,the standard motors won't deal with the weight of hugh take-up reels-that is why all the extended arm attachments(like Gigant) had their own motors of course. Looks great but I won't believe my eyes! [Smile] Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2007 01:54 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

This is directly from the seller, he said he was told by the Elmo repair guy who did the customizing on this machine that the original GS-1200 definitely could not handle the load but the new Elmo could… [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] The customizing was done by Leon Norris out of Norristown, PA.

Leon is working on two of my machines right now; I am going to give him a call Monday to see what I can find out about this unit. The BIN is still up and it’s not a bad price. I’ll see what Leon tells me and post back.

Jon

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 04:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, no cake stand !
[Big Grin]

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2007 06:33 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Leon Norris worked on this monster. He said the take-up motor will lift me and my 200 lbs without a grunt! The machine was in mint condition when he sent it back but that was a long, long time ago.

Let’s see where the auction goes.

Jon

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2007 09:26 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I have always said and gone and done it myself....never modify a projector to handle bigger reels.

The idea: reverse pshycology

The answer: Build a secondary spooling device built to only take the big reels and sit your preferred machine in it or on it. Have the projector only pull the film through and NOT do the spooling.

I think it'd be called a TOWER. [Big Grin]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2007 10:20 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ended with "Buy It Now" for $1495. I don't know whether to drool over the projector, reels, or films more.

Empty reels are supposed to go up for sale next.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC