8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS 1200 locked in Thread Mode

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS 1200 locked in Thread Mode
Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2008 05:57 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Elmo Kevin Faulkner or Tech Forum Members,
PROBLEM:
My GS 1200 is locked in the threading mode. I have changed out the small relay switch which releases the GS 1200 from thread mode to operating mode located in front of the Take Up reel and still no luck. Could this problem be the larger Relay inside the machine? Please advise and thanks in advance.

LA

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 19, 2008 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lance,
It could also be a problem with the FRONT microswitch (activated by pushing down the green threader on the lever just below the feed reel). I would first change that microswitch out as well (same switch as the one you have already replaced)and see if that solves the problem. If not it sounds like the same problem that I had on my GS1200, and I ended up having to replace that large relay on the main control board. Since then my machine has operated flawlessly. Kev may come into this thread and suggest that you try cleaning the large relay first(before replacing it). I respectfully disagree with Kev on this point, my thought being that if you are going to all the considerable trouble of removing that large relay off the board to clean it, then you may as well plonk a new one in while your at it and not have to ever worry about it again. Leon Norris in Pennsylvania has replacement relays for the GS1200.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2008 06:43 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance - Oh God, I know this problem well. It has happened twice with my GS over the last year. My GS is still with Leon Norris for that very problem (he's had it for two months but I think the audio crackling is what's causing most of the repair delay.) Your locking problem is definitely a micro-switch problem inside the machine from what it sounds like. It's very frustrating - I found jiggling it will release it eventually and then be careful not to push it all the way down as you thread. That's just a temporary solution before getting a proper repair done. Fixing it is way over my head technically I'm afraid...

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2008 06:49 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Gentlemen. Learned something new about the other Micro located near the feeding area. Have not changed it and I will do so. Luckily I have extra GS machines I use for parts so I can change that multi wired relay inside the machine if need be. But I am hoping I don't have to go to that much trouble. Thanks again for the quick answers.

LA

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 20, 2008 10:23 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good news Lance. It may be that you just have to replace that front micr-switch, which is a fairly easy operation.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 20, 2008 02:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

You got me a bit lost with your reply as the large relays dont have anything to do with the auto-thread mechanism on the GS1200?

The auto-thread electronics will work regardless of the on-off state of the main relays which are used for forward/reverse switching of the motors.

This problem is 99.0% down to that front microswitch.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 20, 2008 03:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your absolutely right Kev! I replaced that main relay to solve the problem with the intermittent operation of the take up motor. Sorry about my confusing the two separate issues. But this is good news for Lance, now he only has to replace that front microswitch.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 10:09 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gentlemen for the clarification. I am changing the front relay by Feedout this weekend and will report back to you. The expertise is certainly appreciated by this Forum Member.

LA

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2008 06:13 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have encountered this problem recently. I had the small solenoid replaced along with a new relay only a few years back even though there was no fault with the auto thread at the time, so when the auto threading locked I immediately changed the front micro-switch. Unfortunately one time in 5 it will be very slow in releasing, should I also change the other micro-switch or are there any other parts which I should investigate?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 23, 2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
There are only two Microswitches involved with the Autotherad circuit one at the rear of the machine to release the autothread and one at the front to activate it. The front microswitch is inside the machine. It can be seen just above the main Worm gear behind two white drive cogs. Its very often this one which fails and I think its partly due to the greasy environment it lives in.
Its also a bit of a pain to replace. Filing this then the one at the rear of the machine should also be changed. This is behind the output chute up to the take-up reel. It can be got to by removing the side drop down cover and then unscrewing the rear chute.

The small microswitch in the rear of the top sprocket guide is only for adjusting the take-up motor speed in reverse projections.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC