8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Defacing Original Boxes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Defacing Original Boxes
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 03:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always good to see OB on a dealer's listing. An original box always seems to indicate that a former owner looked after his film and kept it away from spooling up and throwing away the box.

I prize some boxes almost as much as the flm! Take the Walton Tom & Jerry's for instance, always great design and a colouful image from the film.

It's therefore very annoying when a package pops through the letterbox from a dealer who advertsied an OB only to find that a lot of the artwork has now been obscured by a large sticky label announcing the dealer's name, the film's condition and its price.

These labels are almost impossible to remove successfully, particularly from a cardboard box.

So. Come on you sellers, keep the boxes pristine.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 07:21 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right on the box situation, maurice, if anyone is a stickler on this area, It's yours truly. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a potential auction, examing the box at which I'm usually aghast at the condition; tears, rips, split areas, discoloration and the such, and to beat it all, the seller advertises these as NM or better. How they arrive at these decisions, who knows. More times than not I've been successful at removing odd tape or stickers without defacing the box design. Its a slow and patient process, and one can do wonders with a safety pin and the blunt edge of a pair of sissors. That and restoring some color (matched swatches) to the cardboard. Of course, emphrema collectors might frown on that as it removes market value. Well, this diatribe has to stop right now, but keep up on the box parade

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2008 12:23 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice

I'm right with you, the boxes are important to me too and one dealer in particular has large stickers that he puts on everything and they wont come off!

Dealers take note... [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 01:12 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I've been rubbing shoulders with antique dealers for a long time and I've learnt a few tricks.
Removing sticky labels without damaging the box needs patience... and a hairdryer. If you blow some hot air at a reasonnable distance, the glue will slowly melt, then you'll be able to remove the sticker slowly but surely. I've saved boardgame boxes from the 50's and 60's with that method.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A dealers sticker on a box will reduce the Peckham Scale value of that box by 2-3 points. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 09, 2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've said, patience is the ticket. My use of safety pins, scissors and, in some cases, elmer's glue lightly applied with a cuetip to solidify split or near-split corner dings, well that works with me. I also use a black sharpie to highlight those color areas giving them a bit more vibrancy. Assorted color markers help (careful not to hinder), the overall gloss (sometimes restorable), and I wrote a similar article in Osborne's REEL-IMAGE about the actual stages of restoration. One can't always find NM-M or 'sealed' items as I've been fortunate in, so we do the best we can

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC