8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to the world of 8mm and need some help! :confused:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to the world of 8mm and need some help! :confused:
Sam Carneiro
Junior

- posted March 08, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Sam Carneiro   Email Sam Carneiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone, I've been poking around on the board for a while, and I must say, I've never seen a more civil & thoughtful group of people. Glad to be here.

Anyway, I recently received a Bolex 18-5 manual load projector from a guy on craigslist, whom I eventually talked down from $40 to free, since when I inquired as to the meaning of "intermittent", he said "not doing anything when I plug it in."

So could you guys help me go about fixing and maintaining this beauty?

At first I figured it was the power cord, since absolutely nothing happened when I plugged it in and turned it on (no sound, so light and no movement) and there was a small fray in the cord, covered with electrical tape, where it looked like a mouse bit through. But I got an extension cord and changed out the plug with the projector's input, and still nothing happens.

Any suggestions? I checked the fuse already, and it looks to be not blown (half of the filament is straight and half coiled, but still connected) but other than that, I'm not sure. When I turn the thread-check knob, the motor does turn, albeit stickily. I'm sure it has to be greased up (when I turn it in the other direction, it sticks at the connect point with the shutter) but I doubt it is because of that, because wouldn't something happen, like the bulb going on or anything?

I know there was talk elsewhere about changing out the transformer, could that be it? Also, if you could point me in the right direction as to how to understand voltage and the electronics, let me know, because I want to understand what is going on!

Also, which tools do I need to have? I don't have much money, but I do need some essentials, I know. I looked around on here for a while about "projector maintenance" but you all seem to already know how to do it all!

I've always been enamored with film itself. I can't wait to be able to start viewing them on this sweet pull-down projector screen right out of grade school I got from this other lady on craigslist for $15! Gotta love it.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated fellas!

--------------------
S

"Hover, utter, still
a sourcing whom my lost candle like the firefly loves"
J.B.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 08, 2008 06:59 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

Thank you for the kind words and of course, welcome to the Forum.

The Bolex 18-5 is a real Swiss beauty, and looks great on display. Is your model an 18-5, 18-5L or 18-5 Super?. Please check the voltage setting above the control knob. What is it set at? Also check your newly made power cable with a multi tester. Always good to make sure that current is getting through.

Please let us know and we'll work our way from there.

Doug

[ March 08, 2008, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 09:56 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, if you have a digital camera post a pic or two of the projector.

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2008 12:47 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bolex 18-5 is a real beauty. Is it a super or regular 8? I had a regular 8. I sold it on Ebay for $50. So that you got it for free is great. I agree that you should break out a mulitmeter and check the volages right where the power comes in and then go down the line to see where the break might be. All the connections leading up to, and then after the transformer. As said before, be sure to check the voltage setting to 117 volts. (Or the closest closest voltage setting.) If the transformer is bad, it shouldn't be to hard to replace. Just go through the thing carefully and you should be able to fire it back up. I would also replace the fuse anyway. Old fuses can quit working even in they appear to be ok. Best of luck and enjoy!
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 09, 2008 11:19 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sam, any questions on film, place them here - Shorty

Sam Carneiro
Junior

- posted March 09, 2008 02:58 PM      Profile for Sam Carneiro   Email Sam Carneiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I don't even have a multi tester yet, so I can't tell! That should be the first piece of equipment probably, haha! I'll pick one up tomorrow after work, and fuses.

It is an 18-5, a standard 8mm. I would post pictures if I come across a digital camera, but I don't have one right now.

The voltage setting was 110 when I got it, so it was probably plugged in as that. I will change it to 117.

--------------------
S

"Hover, utter, still
J.B.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 09, 2008 04:25 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, here is a nice one on Ebay in working condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXC-BOLEX-18-5-Auto-Projector-Inc-Case-Cords-Manual_W0QQitemZ170199237940QQihZ007QQcategoryZ15253QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sam Carneiro
Junior

- posted March 09, 2008 07:30 PM      Profile for Sam Carneiro   Email Sam Carneiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dan! Yep, that's the same one, but mine's manual (which I would have preferred I think anyway). I want to fix up mine first before I get another one though! Plus, I'm kinda poor.

So I need heavy grease, fuses, and a multitester to start with then?

PS I just found out that when my roommate moved into this house the old couple had left a projector! I just looked at it, a Keystone K-70 Brightbeam! The motor runs, (god, I love that sound!) but the bulb doesn't light. I guess that's my next project!

--------------------
S

"Hover, utter, still
J.B.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 09, 2008 08:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

The Keystone K-70 can use either a CZX 500w or a CXY 300w bulb. They're both available here but check around....I'm sure you can find them for less.

Doug

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 09, 2008 08:22 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I think I have some czx bulbs. Let me know if you need one and I will check. It's new old stock(cheap). [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 09, 2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can just get them from Dan. [Wink]

Doug

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2008 11:44 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do that when you can get THIS deal:
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/czx.html

Sam Carneiro
Junior

- posted March 11, 2008 12:37 AM      Profile for Sam Carneiro   Email Sam Carneiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I accidentally posted this as a new post. Sorry!

Truly, you gentlemen know how to find the deals! ONLY $66? HOW CAN I LOSE??

Alright, so I got a multi-tester, actually one that just lights up red when there is current, and it appears that when I plug it in, every metal part carries a current (or I guess, senses "the presence of power". Sounds like something out of Highlander). I think I got the wrong thing. I got an "electrical tester". Do I want one that shows the actual voltage going through?

I caused a short! A spark and a little puff of smoke went up when I brought the tester near the contacts above the plug, where you are supposed to plug in a lamp. Oops, I'm kind of a fool when it comes to this stuff yet, I hope I didn't damage it further. I think I melted the solder on the contact a little, but it looks like it's still connected.

Okay, now UNPLUGGED I think it might be around either the switch area (none of the metal points behind the switch faceplate seem to be getting any charge) or the actual plug inputs are very very loose, where you plug in the power cord, and when I wiggled them a bit the LED became intermittent.

Actually, the big thick red box in the top center (what's that called?) the wires coming in from the left side: there is a set of 2 green and 2 red ones together, and a fatter red one on the bottom that seems to run to the bulb (?); there is a charge detected on the 2 green and 2 red wires, but NOT the big fat red one. Could that be a problem, somewhere in the red box? Would that account for no power getting anywhere on the machine?

Alright, so my questions:
1. should I get a multi tester that reads the voltage?
2. how do I get into the plug part in the back?
3. how do I check out that red box? take off the 4 little bolts?

I am afraid of breaking this beautiful thing! But I guess any minor damage I do can be repaired. Sorry for the rambling, but I am confused. Any answers you have would be helpful! Thanks!

--------------------
S

"Hover, utter, still
J.B.

Sam Carneiro
Junior

- posted March 13, 2008 11:01 PM      Profile for Sam Carneiro   Email Sam Carneiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem. I've fixed the motor! All speeds seem to be working.

Before you exert yourselves with a rousing ovation, I must confess I'm not really sure how I did it. I was just poking around behind the plate in the back, and around the switch in the front, trying to find where the break was, and I noticed it stopped around the voltage selector, so I just turned it more and it seemed to return. I think actually, the selector was turned off, but the faceplate was just spun around so it looked like it was on 117!

Now, however, the light doesn't work. And I know the lamp is okay, I checked the continuity, but no electricity is going to it.

I think it might be a switch problem, because sometimes I turn it and nothing still happens. Anyone know how to examine the switch? Or anyone had this kind of problem?

--------------------
S

"Hover, utter, still
J.B.

Sam Carneiro
Junior

- posted March 16, 2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Sam Carneiro   Email Sam Carneiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I realize now it is a switch problem. I tested the continuity from the point at the switch where one wire loops to the lamp all the way back to the switch, and it's complete. Power never goes to the wire when the switch is turned to "lamp on".

I have to get a small screwdriver still before I can open up the switch, though.

--------------------
S

"Hover, utter, still
J.B.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC