8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » To Lube or not to lube before telecine transfer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To Lube or not to lube before telecine transfer
John Sadler
Junior

- posted March 13, 2008 05:35 PM      Profile for John Sadler   Author's Homepage   Email John Sadler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from a new cine novice,
I know... I know.. this lubing/cleaning business has really been done to death and I have spent the last few days before registering here reading all your wealth of information!!! [Eek!]
Needless to say at least I managed to decide on Filmguard as my preferred choice (after reading this forum) and have some on its way with gloves and lint free cloth.
However, my question is this; I'm going to convert the family archive of cine standard 8 to DVD professionally. I have not gone for the cheap option either as I really want the best results I can get for the future generations of the family to see. Therefore I'm sending it off to one of the few companies in the UK that does telecine transfers for the broadcasting companies.

Do you recommend I clean all my film up and lubricate it before sending?

I have projected a few of the reels and found that there is lint and a bit of muck on some of it. I also have one film that by my collection standard is not that old 1956 but shows signs of shrinkage on the sprocket edge (obviously one that has been badly stored) as I have 1946 material in better condition. For the purposes of transfer I'm not too worried with this one as it's a sprocket-less telecine but someone going to tell me I'm gonna get better results on this particular reel with shrinkage with film renew?

I know I have waffled on a bit but all advice welcome.

Kind rgds,
John.

|  IP: Logged

Robin Cook
Junior

- posted March 15, 2008 03:42 PM      Profile for Robin Cook   Email Robin Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John,
This is my first post on this site even though I've been a member since last September! My advice would be to go ahead and lubricate/clean your films with Filmguard before sending them to be transfered. Before I ever used it, I wondered if I would get dust being attracted to the film as it is 'wet' while being projected. I'm pleased to say that in the last few years of using it, I've never had any dust problems and it certainly is the best on the market. Make sure you tell the company you send the films to that you have already cleaned them
(just in case they clean them themselves with something else and possibly charge extra for it). I always go over the film a few times to avoid any streaks, etc.

Best regards, Robin.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 16, 2008 05:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

I suggest you contact the film transfer company to ask their advice before you do any cleaning or lubricating.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, just as a 'by-the-way', I understand that telecines in general (Rank Cintels and the like) run with some tension on the films, so checking splices is something I have seen recommended as a good precaution, and also something that you should ask about when you inquire. They will fix splices, but of course that would cost extra too.

Good luck with it; I am looking into this myself for my Super-8s.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC