8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1.1 Schneider Lens Cleaning Success..Thanks Ugo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1.1 Schneider Lens Cleaning Success..Thanks Ugo!
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 17, 2008 08:04 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to let everyone know that I have Ugo here to thank in regards to the cleaning of my 1.1 Schneider lens. (This is the one for the Beaulieu, not the GS)
I noticed one day there was a little fungus on the inside of the front element. I called our resident USA Projector man out here who shall remain nameless- and he told me that the lens was junk once it has fungus but if I was so inclined I could sell it to him for parts. He could throw $20 my way plus shipping. Hmm....that didn't sound too good to me.
So I emailed Ugo and asked if there was a way to take apart the lens for cleaning and he sent me step by step disassembly photos.
Once apart, a little bit of cold cream, then a wipe down with alcohol, a little compressed air and voila! Lens.. as good as new.
[Smile]
Grazie Mille!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 17, 2008 08:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like that guy thought he was onto a possible good one there.

Yes generally as you have found they can be stripped and cleaned.

Was it a fungus or was it just a build up of "Bloom" mist?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
…a little bit of cold cream, then a wipe down with alcohol, a little compressed air and voila!
Sounds like the plot line to one of those 200fters that one used to see advertised in the small ads in the back of Movie Maker….

Mike [Wink]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 17, 2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...it looked like a bit of greenish mold with fine spider type webs! What is bloom mist?

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2008 12:30 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Grazie Mille!
Prego! [Big Grin] (you are welcome!)

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2008 12:44 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan (or Ugo),

Is there any chance you could share this info with me? (assuming the Bauer version of the lens is (dis)assembled in the same way as the Beaulieu version).

A slightly embarrassing story leads up to my request..... About a year ago I was considering the advantages of having my newly acquired Xenovaron lens cleaned up a bit (it was a bit misty). I wasn't entirely confident on this, so I decided to first take one of my spare 1.3 lenses apart, clean it and put it back together. So, I started working on it. Took the lens apart, cleaned the elements and was just about to put the lens back together, when I noticed that I had taken the 1.1 lens instead of the intended 1.3... When I put the lens back together, the elements weren't entirely aligned.... I meant to take the lens to a camera shop to have it properly aligned, but that hasn't happened yet. I might give it one more go with proper instructions....

- Rob

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 17, 2008 06:33 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, Its a sort of smokey looking film on the lens surface. Normally on the inside elements. You can see it when the light is going through the lens. It gives it this misty look.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 17, 2008 08:11 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Rob,
I forwarded Ugo's email that he sent me to you. In case he hasn't done it yet!
Good luck!
Kev,
It wasn't misty...but greenish..!

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2008 11:28 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, the spider web pattern you describe is classic lens fungus.

Here is Australia with higher humidity we see it more often.

We used to say, never buy photgraphic equipment from the state of Queensland as it is the the tropics; similar caution for South Florida too!

Winbert, how have your lenses gone in Fiji and Indonesia?

David

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 18, 2008 08:53 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Mostly the lenses & equipments here in Indonesia (as well as in Fiji) will have that fungus + rust (for metal stuff).

I have once dissambled an ST800 lens to give it clean. Accidently, I found that if we put a small lens inside the bigger one in upside down position, will make the whole lens become a long throw lens. Do you know this?

--------------------
Winbert

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2008 09:16 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alan,

I'll give it another go tonight....

Cheers,

- Rob

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC