8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Another Eumig problem solved

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Eumig problem solved
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2008 08:10 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been from time to time, members mentioning the poor drive system on some Eumig machines. Maybe they might be helped by the following:

The one featured in my recent project was no exception when I received it. However, having roughed up the rubber drive wheel discs, there was little improvement, and it was worse when the hard case was fitted back.

What I found on my machine were 2 things:

First, the motor leads were too thick and not very flexible to allow the motor to pivot easily on its mounting. Also the leads were too short, impeding the action of the spring tension to keep the drive fully engaged.

I cut the leads and joined thinner longer wires, forming flexible loops. See the green wires in the picture below.

-

Second, I found that when fitting the cast aluminium back, the drive slowed up once more. I discovered that the inside of the case was fouling the white flexible motor mount, by pressing on it and creating excessive friction on the motor pivot. Answer - drill a clearance hole in the case. See picture below.

-

Problem solved!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 21, 2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible David that the motor mount material may have hardened a bit over the years so that there is not now the flexibility.
When the machines were new maybe it didnt matter if the back touched the mounting providing the material had the give in it.

What model was this with its valve amp?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2008 09:15 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, forgot to say. When I originally did the overhaul and service upon first acquiring the projector, I fitted a replacement motor mount, as the original one had indeed gone hard.

On this machine, the cause was definitely wires too thick and too short, and also the case clearance business thing, - even with the mount properly fitted. Poor tolerances, I reckon.

Kev, I just finished the whole project with the longer arms, and it's on the Forum now, - with 8 photos! She is the Mark S, but the standard 8 only, sound machine.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC