8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Universal 8 Scopes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Universal 8 Scopes?
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2008 08:12 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw on Ebay a print of the Universal 8 digest, Airport in scope. It's in the original box with a special "anamorphic" sticker on the front. I never knew Universal 8 released scope prints. Does anyone know what other titles they released in this format? Is this very rare? Strange I have never seen one before.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 14, 2008 09:20 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

At one point I thought that Cineavision had released that print, but Eberhard corrected me, saying that it was Universal's first scope release. As far as I know, the other U-8 titles available in scope are from Cineavision. We put a list together here.

The "Airport" digest is very well edited, and the scope version looks great.

-
Universal 8

-
Cineavision

The Cineavision prints have a tendency to be on the soft side.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Airport(brown-see reviews with a couple of pics I posted), Airport 75(had this but didn't like digest),Jaws 2(good digest but quite a bit faded),Swashbuckler(had this also, they switched some things around in the digest-it was not as faded),Two Minute Warning(really good digest with little fade). The Cineavision prints are a bit softer.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 15, 2008 07:12 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting - does this mean that Airport is in 1:2.66 format, without the small amout of black masking seen at the sides of Cineavision prints?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2008 04:16 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

that's it exactly. "Airport" is not masked, whereas "Cineavision" prints of Universal 8 digests have small masking bars at the sides.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2008 05:57 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had in scope; Airport and Ben Hur 400ft versions, both nicely edited but both have suffered from fade. The colour on Airport went first and completely faded. Ben Hur is still watch-able but disappointingly it is the chariot scene that has lost most of it's colour and is very red. Had Two Minute Warning, sold it a few years back but the colour was still good [ I didn't like the film].

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC