8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » An old cine store from days gone by! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: An old cine store from days gone by!
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 05:41 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
A work colleague told me about a cine shop that is still selling film and equipment in the town where he lives and then lo and behold there is an article in Time Out magazine.

Take a look at these:

Time Out - Umits
Further Details

My friend told me that this shop is stacked out from wall to wall with film and equipment. Has anyone else in the UK heard or this shop before? I'm certainly going to take a trip to have a look at the titles he's selling.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 07:29 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually went there many years ago. I took many photos (he didnt mind at all) but didnt buy any films. I was even shown a rare standard-8 optical sound projector and he had the odd 'optical sound' film somewhere to go with it. Yes the shop is packed full with films and projectors including some Elmo ST1200's I remember.

If I remember he had a lot of science fiction and horror films there. I did take a number of photos mainly because I thought it would dissapear within a year or two. I might go back there again as I had a good chat in there. [Smile]

I will probably visit again now I know it still going. But Kev, dont expect any bargains in there. [Smile]

Graham S

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 07:42 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you check the Past Events photos from Oct 2006 BFCC, he's there.

Had no idea such a shop existed though. Well, I guess Sheard will have to change his advertising blurb.

-Mike

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 08:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I thought I recognised his face from somewhere! I didnt think of the BFCC.

Graham, I'm not expecting any bargains but just fascinated. This shop is not far from me and I had never seen any ref to it anywhere before now.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 08:43 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to write them

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 08:57 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes you wonder just how many more there may be scattered around.

Also, makes you wonder how no one has mentioned this Umit shop before in collecting circles!!!

Graham, was it mainly 8mm or was there much 16mm there - did you notice?

-Mike

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 09:13 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have heard of this shop too,I think they still rent out old super 8mm features as well.

This guy and his son are regulars at the BFCC,always looking out for the odd bargain mainly horror,science fiction and kung fu.

I will be making a visit on my next trip to London to check the shop out.

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 10:14 AM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, good bloke, Umit. I was chatting to him on the phone just last night. He was saying how busy he'd been as a result of the article. The shop is packed with 8mm and some 16mm, mainly his amazing collection - including his highly worshipped Kung Fu back catalogue. Lots of projectors and film ephemera. He's always at Ealing and Pimlico.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, when I went there I think it was mainly super 8 (mabye also a bit of standard 8). I didnt notice much 16mm but then again at the time I didnt collect 16mm so may not have noticed.

When I went there many years ago, I didnt have a car, and it was difficult to get there by train without changing several times. I cant remember how I found out about it but its about time I went there again as it cant be far. A goldmine in London you could say. I completly forgot about this shop thinking it wasnt there any more, so it would be great to go again [Smile]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 02:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should arrange a Forum outing to this Aladdin's cave [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, I thought of exactly the same thing [Big Grin]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 03:41 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha. The poor guy won't know what hit him. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be funny [Big Grin]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 04:18 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is that strange Elmo Projector with the fast rewind switch and the green Elmo GS1200 input guide? Kev? [Eek!]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 04:26 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's probably had about one customer a month for the past ten years and suddenly a coach pulls up outside....................
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How has this guy stayed 'under the radar' for so long? Sounds like a fabulous cine store. Kev, if you visit there, please take some pictures and post them on the forum.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 19, 2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes will do. If the weather is fine this Saturday then Kermit and I might just go to Hackney to find this store. You see, if I take the bike then I cant bring much back with me [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2008 09:36 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't we have a store like this in the U.S.?!?!

Does anyone know of any similar U.S. stores?

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 04:35 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live not far from Umit's shop, and have been there several times. A colleague of mine used to live just round the corner and went there regularly.

In both my and his experience it is fairly common that if you ask him if you can buy a certain film or piece of equipment he'll hum and hah a bit, then turn round and say something like "I don't think I want to sell it really".

So Kevin, although I can promise that it is worth a visit to Umit's shop, you may not come home with all that much....

A short documentary about Umit was released earlier this year - you can watch the trailer by following this link...

Sugar & Spice & all things Movies Trailer

[ June 20, 2008, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Bart Smith ]

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Adam Wilkins
Junior

- posted June 20, 2008 07:06 AM      Profile for Adam Wilkins   Email Adam Wilkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im adding this Umit & Son to my list of places to visit. i like the fact that it is perhaps more of a museum than a shop.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 07:38 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's so strange this little shop never came up before on the board. I've dreamed of stumbling across a place like that but I don't think it's ever really happened. If anyone goes please take more photos and report back. I'm very curious about how many 8mm horror titles he has for sale... The guy seems like he may be a little nutty (but I guess we all are!)

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 12:07 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Brian,

I just spoke to Umit. He has "Mummies, Draculas, Werewolves, Frankensteins, Hammers on 8mm".

I just had to explain to him what e-mail is (for about the fifth time since I've known him) so I'm afraid there's no chance of you getting anything online.

Regards.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2008 12:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The guy seems like he may be a little nutty"

I've seen worse:

Where I grew up there was a block of stores with a drug store about midway through. The displays in the window were sun faded almost white and there were no lights on inside. My Mom sent me out to get some medicine once pre-car and this was the closest pharmacy, so I went in. The place was deadly still and smelled a little stale. Wood-framed display cases held old, disordered merchandise and more than a few cobwebs. From the back an almost whispered voice said:

"What do you...want?"

Turns out he didn't have it, and I was actually relieved since I don't think I'd trust anything from this guy.

Years later we found out he owned the block of stores and lived off the rent. He hadn't actually sold anything in years!

..talk about a store with Horror Movies inside!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 01:32 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great little story and nice link to the vimeo.com website, it's nice to see some online video that hasn't been compressed to destruction.

Taking about weird shops, I went into a cine shop years ago in Glasgow called '21st Century Movies' (from memory it was on Queen Margaret Drive - near where the BBC had its Scottish head quarters), the guy had a great selection of gear but at prices to suggest that he wouldn't be selling any of it any time soon. He also tried to pass of Chinon badged Bauer camera as the finest Tuetonic engineering, even after I pointed out it said 'made in Japan' on the body.

Actually the later Chinons were really rather good and this was backed up by Bauer among others being prepared to badge.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 20, 2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, if you visit, can you let me know whether he's got much in the 16mm dept, please?
If he has I'll pay him a visit myself.
-Mike

PS: Bart, where and how can one see this documentary? Where was it released?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC