8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Lost World

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Lost World
Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 02:55 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey All,

I just purchased a 8mm print of The Lost World, which was said to be a Blackhawk print, but I don't think that it is. Its on two very full 400ft 8mm reels, that were spliced together from shorter reels. The film starts off with the original opening credits, and the end of the other reel ends with the closing credits of the film. I'm leaning toward it being a Griggs print, if it were a Blackhawk or Niles it would say so. I also feel that Blackhawk only released a 200ft version. I know Niles did release it, does anyone know if Griggs did too? I haven't yet viewed it except for looking at frames on my rewind bench. It looks to be a nice print.

Brad

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I have 'The Lost World' (1925) in Super-8 in what was then the complete print available; it runs about an hour (The film has since been restored.) This was bought in Denmark in the late 70es.

Now, the boxes mine came in say "Collectors' Club." The film was on individual 200ft reels and the boxes are greenish with a collage of silent movie stars on it.

Maybe someone else can weigh in on your version as well.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 21, 2008 11:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a print of this feature as well. It came on five very full standard 8mm reels. The film stock is "S Gevaert Belgium 1S", so this would place it somewhat earlier, as I don't think Gevaert Belgium has been used for quite awhile.

It is in plain while boxes with "The Lost World" and the stars
names written on the boxes.

I Don't Know who "Griggs" was, but perhaps this person or company manufactured this print.

All the reels have VERY full original leaders to them, and there is no film company markings at all, just the title and which reel it is.

I must say that I was VERY impressed with the contrast and grain on this print, the sharpness was also very good for a silent print, but the negative also had a greater amount of damage than you would usually expect, so I doubt that this could have been a DErann release, (at least, not mine.)

I don't know if any of my info helps.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC