8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak Super 8 Magnetic Cartridges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak Super 8 Magnetic Cartridges
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2008 04:23 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been reading on Wikipedia that the reason why Kodak discontinued the production of Super 8 sound film in 1997 was due to environmental regulations.

The adhesive used to bond the magnetic track to the film was environmentally hazardous.

And yet there still firms who offer sound striping.

How do they manage?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2008 04:57 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was largely just an excuse Maurice. A substantial percentage of Kodak pre-stripe didn't pass quality control and was therefore wasted. I believe it was 40% or 60% of all pre-stripe stock just went in the bin. They then came to a point when the striping machine needed a huge investment to keep it going so it was uneconomical to continue.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2008 07:51 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.............well partly true. 70mm mag prints also went out at this time, so it was not just limited to Super 8. The adhesive process was difficult especially with old equipment, and the process was on notice with the EPA in the US.

It is possible that another adhesive process could have been found for Super 8 and 70mm, but by 1997 the volumes of both formats did not warrant it.

I am sure there are comments from the late great John Pytlak and also Bob Mayson both of Kodak on this issue on the web. I have spoken to both about this before, but can ask Bob again as I may see him at a conference in a few weeks.

I plan to shoot another Kodachrome sound film this week; out of the super cold storage they come!

David

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Is it true that the old Kodachrome II prepaid envelopes are still being honoured by Dwaynes?

Or do you have to pay for processing?

I understand that now only Dwaynes can handle this stock. Is this correct?

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2008 11:25 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I think you have to pay, I did.

On this subject - Ive heard so many reasons as to why it was stopped so why is there never any official statement and explanation. Does the truth hurt that much that nobody can tell us.

Reminds me of everything surrounding the W&G release [Roll Eyes]

[ June 24, 2008, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Graham Sinden ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 24, 2008 11:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak tends to be very opaque about what goes on inside the yellow walls. I guess that's part of being a business where secret formulas are so important. (-or maybe too many years of having to work in the dark!)

For years there was a theory that US Kodachrome mailers were processed at Dwayne's instead of going to Switzerland. The packaging we got our film back in was consistent with Dwayne's processed film and different from everybody else's film. The fascinating part is neither Dwayne's nor Kodak would either come right out and admit it or even try to kill the rumor by (possibly) lying about it.

(I should keep quiet: I have 4 64Ts there right now!)

The "W&G affair"? Shhhhhhh!!!!!!!

All I'll say about it is the thinking of the prints of "The Wrong Trousers" and "The Close Shave" that never made it to my shelves makes me a little sad. "Grand Day Out" is wonderful, and fortunately it is the one of the three I would have chosen. (It's coming up used a lot more than expected, isn't it?)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC