8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Phantom of the Opera (1925) Blackhawk versions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phantom of the Opera (1925) Blackhawk versions?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 24, 2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a sound version of this that's cut down to a very full one reeler, but I'd appreciate any comments on what other versions might exist.

I was in the Super 8 shop in Amsterdam yesterday (I'll say more about this in another thread) and was surprised to find what appeared to be a brand new Blackhawk 2 x 400' sound version complete with colour insert. I couldn't resist buying it even though it was relatively expensive, but on the way home I found that the box had been somewhat 'doctored' and that both reels have spliced on leaders and one has at least three other splices (although two must be the colour section spliced in). So it's definitely not new and I might return it for a refund, although I have not run it yet.

Can anyone tell me if Blackhawk did actually release a 2 x 400' version, and was the colour section sold separately by them (or anyone else)? And did any vesion come with the colour section actually spliced in?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2008 10:31 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackhawk did issue separate color segment. I bought one, but it's all pink now. Wasn't much more than pink to start with.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2008 10:44 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, tell us more about the shop in Amsterdam. It's probably the one that's been on my list to visit for years now.

I just won the one-reel sound Blackhawk "Great Moments from the Phantom of the Opera" and am very curious what the soundtrack is like. I had the silent version years ago and I remember it being a great cut-down.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2008 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted that Blackhawk, (I suppose to save money on color film), would take the color segments from sielnt films, (such as the Phantom of the pera Ball sequence), and splice it into the film itself.

They did this with thier deluxe release of "The Great train Robbery", where the tinted sequences (with hand colored explosions and such) were spliced into the final print that was sold.

Just another example of just how far Blackhawk films went to give us a high quality release. Though erann and CHC are great, the likes of Blackhawk will never be seen again for the collector.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 24, 2008 01:07 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses. So it's credible that Blackhawk might have sold a version with the colour sequence spliced in, as well as offering it separately, but does anyone know if there was a 2 x 400' cutdown?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2008 06:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

I can't advise on the 2X400 cutdown, but it's most certainly a fact that they would do thier own splice to add the colour sequence to a black and white print.

Isn't it ironic, that NOW the rarity is black and white film?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2008 02:20 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Blackhawk released a 34 minute version with the color sequence included.
The earliest listing I found of this version, titled "Macabre Moments from The Phantom of the Opera" was in September 1978. Hope you enjoy your copy!

[ June 29, 2008, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Mike Tynus ]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 09:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - many thanks for the information, and welcome to the Forum!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2008 11:26 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
Thanks for the welcome!
I hope to contribute anything I can to this magnificent forum which has already helped me in finding films that I've purchased and performing projector-saving repairs.
Cheers!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 28, 2008 04:31 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The earliest reference I have, via a Blackhawk Bulletin - Though announced in Summer 1972 with the possibility of inclusion, it was formally announced in April 1973, Page 3 - "Now Available With Bal Masque Sequence In Color" - Std 8 1450' - $65.98
Super 8 1625' - $73.98
16MM 2900' - $259.98

For the combination of introductory titles and the Bal Masque sequence in color, the cost will be $12 for either the Std or Super 8mm formats. The 16MM will be $25

This might be the first, as I had PHANTOM in the 60's, but not with the 'color' sequence

"Great Moments From The Phantom" came out in Spring-Summer 1972;

Std 8 200' Sound 12.98
Std 8 300' Silent 13.98
Super 8 350' Silent 15.98

Std 8 Sound/Narration 200' 12.98
Super 8 Sound/Narration 225' 13.98
16MM Optical 400' 24.98

Still looking for some of the Bulletins from my heyday of 60's collecting - Wow what times - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC