8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Is all Kodak SP created equal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is all Kodak SP created equal?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 27, 2008 12:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an interesting question, as most Kodak SP prints that i have, have aged very well. Then, there are certain Kodak SP prints that are all faded, no matter how many copies I find, (The Golden Seal, on optical sound, for instance, which was an earlier Kodak SP release).

But hen my print of "Battlestar Galactica" has survived completely unscathed, no color loss at all.

So thwe argument may come down to nothing more than not the color stock, but the infamous problem of lab procesing?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2008 03:13 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Well maybe, but emulsion mixing is more an art than a science so no two batches will be identical. We have to have different color printer settings for each emulsion number. Then there's the problem of chemistry. Kodak sold their color developing agent CD-2 for Eastmancolor positive, but there were other companies that made competing products like Code 2 from Hunt Chemical and AGFA had a product as well, I think. I don't remember Fuji selling chemistry in the US since they made all there products to run through the Eastman chemistry (Eastman color positive/negative and Ektachome ME-4).

Ektachome seems much more stable (and this would lend creditbilty to your observation) since many labs only bought the Eastman kits to mix. Major labs would mix from bags and again would sub the Code 3 for the CD-3 which is the color developer agent for ME-4.

Kodak might have some records since they ran lab surveys (sent out IB strips for labs to develop and return--little one foot pieces of film with a gray step record on the film) so they could judge just what the various results were around the country.

As strange as it may seem, sometimes local water supplies could influence processing results in just one locality.

John

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2008 04:20 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...due to pH factor, or hardness? (Fascinating problem.)

Osi, I have at least a half dozen or more SP prints, all of which are faded. But your collection being more extensive than mine, you've gotten lucky a few times more than I!

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2008 05:43 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Ph wasn't much of a problem within limits since it's easy to control and one of the main things that the control department watches during the day. However hardness (i.e. dissolved minerals) would pose problems, even some piping could cause trouble (those extra copper ions floating around). It was interesting how east coast (US) labs tended to print "cooler" prints than the west coast labs.

John

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 27, 2008 07:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Define cooler, John.

(fascinating posts)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More to the blue side (if I may butt in).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC