8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My New GS1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My New GS1200
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2008 10:35 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the proud new owner of a second GS1200! I always wanted a second machine to run them side by side and now it's a reality. It's in gorgeous condition - not a scratch on it. There's only one minor little thing bugging me and I wanted to know if anyone (especially Kev) has experienced the same thing with another machine. The bulb fan is perfectly quiet when you switch the bulb on but after about 300' of film it starts making a louder noise. The noise goes away when you shut the bulb off. But it's pretty much like clockwork. Not there for the first 10 minutes or so and then the humming/rattling starts. If it's just a quirk of this machine I can ignore it since I have a projector booth that cuts off any noise. Other than that I'm in love with this machine. The actual sound blows my other GS away both in playback and recording. This will definitely be my main GS while my older one will become the backup.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 06, 2008 11:25 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, is it the actual fan noise that gets louder or is it a sort of rattling noise?

The fan motor also drives a small rubber roller which sits against the flywheel so the flywheel is driven while the machine is idle.
I have come across this roller making rattling noises even when its lifted away from the flywheel during projection. When the lamp is on during projection the fan speed increases making the rattling worse.
Other than that the fan and fan motor normally give very little trouble in these machines.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2008 11:48 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev - I would say it's more of a rattle noise than just the fan getting louder. It's not as soft a noise as just the fan. It's kind of hard to describe. It totally goes away when you shut the bulb off. And again, it's not there for the first 10 minutes or so the bulb is on. So if it's the fly wheel roller just rattling a little, is it ok just to leave it alone?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 06, 2008 11:58 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes if its that then you can leave it alone. Maybe you should run the machine with the back removed so that you can pin point exactly where the noise is coming from.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2008 12:01 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev - Thanks for the advice. I will try the back off and see where it's coming from and report back.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC