8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ecco 1500 safe for mag stripe prints?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ecco 1500 safe for mag stripe prints?
James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2008 08:38 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a lot of talk about which film cleaners are, and are not safe for mag stock. However, since Ecco 1500 is relatively new as far as I can tell, there's little or no talk out there as to whether or not it's actually safe for magnetic prints. I've noticed when cleaning my films the pads end up with a fair amount of oxidation from the mag stripes on them afterward. I'd presume pretty much that no matter what I used to clean the films with some mag oxidate is going to come off no matter what. I have a great deal of experience w/ magnetic recording media and this was always the case. However w/ film the mag stripe is bonded in any number of ways.

I'm guessing the average commercial print, and comercial camera stock that was paste striped is the most tolerant. Where as silent stocks that are post striped w/ glue will be the least tolerant.

Being that I don't want to ruin any of my prints w/ ECCO 1500 by accident, any input about this particular cleaner would be appriciated. Also please let me know about any cleaners that are absolutely known to be safe for mag prints.

Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 16, 2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, I bought one bottle of that about four years ago, (It's all but out now) and I have never ran into any magnetic track coming off due to using it. You do want to put on some good rubber gloves, as it will eat into your skin and make it peel and bleed, (well, that's what happened to me!).

it does get a good deal of stuff off. I was annoyed that it dries out pretty quick even as your claening with it, and it does leave some streaking, (which is kind of hard not to do.)
Must be the alcohol in it. I have wondered if because of this, it may, in the long term, cause our precious films to become brittle.

Oh, and, as you already know, open the windows when using this, unless your into a "reely" nice high from the fumes!

I have since switched to "Film Renew" for my cleaning.

I hope that I might have helped just a tad.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 12:04 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other question about Ecco 1500... Does it have any lubricating properties at all? Or should I keep waxing up my films with pledge......
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 17, 2008 12:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wiswh I could answer that definitely, but I can't. i know that the label says that it "lubricates", but i haven't actually seen that myself. It doesn't appear to.

That's why I switched to "Film Renew", it does have wax to it's mix. When the "chemical smell and additives evaporate, it leaves the wax upon the film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC