8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ektar 1.0 Review...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ektar 1.0 Review...
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 10, 2008 11:09 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok fellows! I finally received my Ektar 1.0 lens back from the machine shop. It had been there for a bit. Approximately since before Xmas and it had to be sent back twice. However I finally received it in March and placed it in the Eumig S940.
While the picture is smaller..that wasn't too good..being that its only 22mm.
However the picture was very sharp. A tad bit better than the 1.1 Schneider that I use on my GS. And that is saying a lot!
Of course once I tried it on the Eumig I thought..lets try it on some other projectors!!
I couldn't get it to fit the Elmo GS1200 as I couldn't quite get it close enough to the film to get focus. But...I plopped it into the Beaulieu 708EL and it fit!
Then I laced up "Madagascar Penguins" to check it out with a current Derann print.
People..I was blown away. I have to say that it is the BEST projector lens I have ever seen on my equipment. When I saw that print I was floored. The grain just shimmers and the colors pop out at you. Side to side perfection. This is what I always expected the 1.0 Elmo Lens to be like but when I got the 1.0 I noticed a little more light but not like this. 1.0 on the Beaulieu is the lens that is going to stay on that machine. If you can find one of those lenses and have the Beaulieu or a Eumig you should not think twice about obtaining that lens for your Super 8 films. To me I cannot imagine the picture getting any sharper. That is the pinnacle of Super 8 lenses I think. My hats off to Paul Adsett and his help in giving me the specs and encouragement to try it. This is truly an awesome lens. You know something is really good when you start thinking about replaying all your films to check out how they look. Wow...wow.. and triple wow..!
The price for the slimming down of the barrel was $250 and while it took a little while to do, if they have to do it again it will be quicker as they now know how to do it. My only problem is that the projector has to be a decent distance from the screen but once the lens is in focus it does not shift. Great lens and it was very good with the Eumig S940 but it is awesome on the Beaulieu 708.
Thanks Paul!

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2008 03:32 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send it over here Alan and I'll test it too! [Wink]

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 11, 2008 09:16 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear that Alan shares my enthusiasm for this incredible lens from Eastman Kodak and the 'Optical Center' of the USA - Rochester NY.
Now if only we could find a way to get this lens to work in the GS1200 - it would burn a hole in the screen! So far I have not found a good solution to that one because, as Alan points out, you cannot push the lens in far enough into the GS lens holder.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Gabriel Borner
Junior

- posted August 12, 2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Gabriel Borner   Email Gabriel Borner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!
One really getīs curious. Couldīnt You post a picture (or email) so we know what to look for?
Regards, Gabriel
...and a tip of how to smallen the barrel size!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC