8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » So... over expose by 2/3 stop and use a 85B filter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So... over expose by 2/3 stop and use a 85B filter?
Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 11, 2008 03:07 PM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all!

I'm gonna be using Ektachrome 64T in the daytime with an Elmo 600 S camera.

After doing a bit of research I've found the Elmo camera won't be able to read the exact exposure, and that I should over expose by 2/3 stop and use a 85B lens filter.

Is this what everybody does??!

Thanks for any advice! [Smile]

Best regards,

Ian

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 11, 2008 03:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ian!,

A lot of people are doing this and getting very satisfactory results. There's a school of thought that slight overexposure actually reduces the graininess.

I messed around with 64T in a Bolex 280, putting a half stop exposure compensation in and out on the same roll exposed at 40ASA under the same conditions and the difference was not very dramatic. I can't honestly say one setting looked better than the other.

For your own peace of mind you should try a test roll before you shoot something important. Last Spring I basically winged it: shooting 4 rolls of our family vacation at Disney World on the hope they'd come out well. They did, but the moment before I saw that first roll projected was a little....tense!

-This is our Christmas film this year.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 11, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to NYC!

Well if doen't make toooo much difference I might just go with the camera's setting and see what it comes out like then!

I guess most of us are using 8mm film for the grainy look, so there's no point in trying to take that away.

Have you used a lens filter before on an 8mm camera??

I'm wondering if this is useful or not before I buy one...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 11, 2008 04:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I shoot Super-8 simply for the joy of it. When people ask why I "don't shoot video" I tell them I do that too, it just isn't as much fun!

64T is grainier than K40, and a lot of us are used to judging grain by that standard. If supressing the grain keeps it from being too much then I'm all for it. Projecting as large as most of us do it's easier to get to that point...

My exposures were through the camera's internal daylight filter and looked fine. Someday I want to try it with the film-correct filter and see what happens.

I actually live about 50 miles from NYC, but show up there now and then!

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2008 10:03 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spectra here in Hollywood does Fuji Velvia 50D -- actually, it's notched for 40ASA, which worked fine for me -- and this film is very much sharper than Kodak's 64T. The color on 64T is very true-to-life, while Velvia is a little more to the exaggerated end of saturation, reminiscent of Kodachrome (though different). It may cost a little more to track down over there, but a projected image won't look better than this unless you use Kodachrome.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 11, 2008 11:46 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Can you tell me how much is the cost for 1 Cartridge of Fuji Velvia? And is it in a Kodak's cartridge format or Fuji single's cart?

Secondly, will Dwayne proses it?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2008 04:55 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course don't forget that the original Kodachrome 40 is alive and I have recently shot fresh stocks bought from Wittners in Germany. No problems as with the 64T sticky cartridges, high grain, wrong exposure and magnetic sound stripe not sticking.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 12, 2008 09:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian

First of all I must admit that I do not know your camera, but I assume it has a Daylight/Artificial light switch.

If so, the switching to "Daylight" should bring in the camera's own filter. There should be no need to add a further filter.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 12, 2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to try, Velvia but at the time I was getting ready for vacation I read on the small gauge film forum that they were having trouble with jitter.

I guess they've fixed the problem now.

--------------------

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 12, 2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all!

Mark - good tip! What is 40T stock like from Wittners?? I.e. results of the image? Comparable to Kodachrome 40??

Also I had a look at their website and couldn't work out where to send the film to get processed - as my German isn't too hot! [Big Grin] Where do you send it?? Thanks!!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 12, 2008 11:24 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's THE genuine Kodachrome it would have to go to Dwayne's in Kansas.

(Auntie Em!!!!! Auntie Em!!!!)

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2008 12:16 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Wittner, they reportedly do Velvia too. And isn't Cinevia another name for the same thing?

Winbert, Spectra only sells the Velvia as a process-paid product, which means you'd either have to ship it back here, lose the money, or negotiate. It's a standard E-6 process, so it's not hard to have done.

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 12, 2008 03:23 PM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auntie Em!! hehehehe [Big Grin]

Well I reckon at some point I'm gonna try all the different films anyway - that's the fun innit!

So it looks like Dwayne will be seeing some shots of bonnie England in the not too distant future!

I'll have a look around to see if there's someone who can develope Kodachrome in Europe and then post the link up if I find anyone...

Peace to all!

ian

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 12, 2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It used to be there were two Kodachrome labs in the world, but Kodak closed the Swiss lab at the same time they discontinued K-40.

So unless there is a lab on some other planet, Dwayne's is it for the entire universe.

It could be worse: they are actually pretty good and generally nice to deal with.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC