8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » vented storage cans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vented storage cans
Gareth Dressler
Junior

- posted October 05, 2008 08:24 PM      Profile for Gareth Dressler   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Dressler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen people selling "vented storage cans" for 8MM/16mm film.
They are said to protect against VS.
Does anyone have these & would this help? if so, then can we just drill some small holes in the corners of the cans to do the same thing?

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 06, 2008 02:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films in storage obviously need to breathe, thus cans should not be sealed or the lids be too tight. However, saying that, VS is a chemical process which seems to appear in some films irrespective of their storage conditions.

It certainly would be ideal if we could suspend this action by drilling a few holes in our cans!

--------------------
Maurice

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2008 09:03 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
In the major studio film vaults and the Kodak vault in Hollywood, they found that a tightly sealed container would contribute to the fast breakdown of the film base. Also a metal container that developed any rust would make the condition worse.

So 35mm feature negatives are stored in container which have vent holes allowing air circulation of controlled temperature and humidty to keep the film at the idea storage conditions.

Ironically, for home users, it would seem that the original cardboard containers supplied by Castle and Blackhawk were a safer method of storage than metal reels and steel cans.

Drilling holes alone might not provide even air circulation. Other methods might be considered such as open storage with a dust cover or the like.

John

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2008 04:13 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they are vented, do not store film in sealed cans, plastic or metal. Dust has become a minor problem compared to Vinegar Syndrome.

As I have said before all of my films are out of cans and are either stored on reels only or cardboard as John says.

David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC