8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What was your first film? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What was your first film?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so surprised that Universal didn't sue them.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 10, 2008 10:23 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibily it was Public Domain, like many Laurel & Hardys.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 10, 2008 11:42 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Atlas was a curious distributor. They also released their own versions of films with Laurel & Hardy, Chaplin, Popeye, etc. I own a couple of different excerpts from the L&H "Babes in Toyland". I have a feeling that aside from dealing in bootlegs, Atlas either was an outlet company for a few of the big guys or picked up discarded prints from labs. You can find Columbia's 4 part "7th Voyage of Sinbad" in generic Atlas packaging under different titles, but the film inside is the same.

The strange thing is that even though the prints were poor, the folks at Atlas seemed to care about the editing and the dialogue titles. It looks like they used the old Letraset do-it-yourself home movie kits, but they interspersed the titles wisely to get the plot across, sometimes better than the major companies.

Osi, I was contacted by a fellow collector (Ray Faiola) who told me he had sound striped four of the Atlas "FMTWM" cut downs along with some of the Castle footage and ended up with a 40 minute sound print of the film way back in 1971!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 10, 2008 11:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's possible. that is how "It's A Wonderful Life" ended up on Super 8 , as well as a lot of other earlier releases during Super 8's heyday.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Charles Phelps
Junior

- posted November 12, 2008 06:14 AM      Profile for Charles Phelps   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Phelps   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi group,

I have been visiting this site off and on for a couple of years and decided to take the plunge.

My first films were Castle's "The 'Original' Frankenstein" and "The Wolfman's Cure", ordered from Captain Company out of Famous Monsters. I ordered a few more films from them over the years but most would come from K-Mart photo departments. There were none in my hometown so visting a place that had one was always cause for celebration. I accumulated a mix of Castles and Kens, 200-footers and 50-footers and had about 30 by the time 8mm went bye-bye.

In 1997, I was searching for a laserdisc of "The Invisible Man" and someone on message board referred me to eBay. After winning the disc, I did a search for Castle Films and got over 100 hits. The next thing you know, I am trying to get all the films I didn't get when I was a teenager. The count now is somewhere over 400. Crazy, ain't it?

I do have one of the 200' Atlas Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman rip-offs. It is basically an edit of the last couple of reels.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 12, 2008 10:10 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

Welcome to the Forum! Our stories are similar, and the biggest kick I get is when I get hold a film that I wanted as a kid!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC