8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cartoon-ranking for Super 8mm releases

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cartoon-ranking for Super 8mm releases
Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2009 08:54 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to everybody!
I have been absent from this forum for quite a while. Good to see, that it's still alive!

As far as I remember, Cartoons are said to be quite popular on super 8mm; Derann and Classic released a few of them the last couple of months.
What if we suggested a few titles to them for future releases?
I'm quite into Cartoons at the moment - so I (or somebody else) could suggest three or four titles here and the rest of us vote which one they like best, second best etc. The winner of this inquiry is then submitted to Derann or Classic.
In this way, the suggested title is carried not only by one person but by a mayority of this forum and therefore has probably more value.

Not being sure if I expressd myself clearly (I am Swiss), I will add an exemple of such a inquiry:

“Please rate the four Cartoons below from 1 ("Must-have on Super8") to 4 ("not necessarily"):
A: Cartoon A
B: Cartoon B
C: Cartoon C
D: Cartoon D”

The Cartoons in question can be watched at www.youtube.com

Well, what do you think about that?

[ January 09, 2009, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Michael Scheck ]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 09, 2009 12:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1# What's Opera Doc? (1958, warner Brothers)
2# Tell tale heart (Mid 50's, UPA release. Was produced in 3D,
but never released as such.
3# Sunshine Makers (Van Buren Productions, 1936)
4# Fresh Vegetable Mystery (Max Fleischer, 1938, a good color
print this time!)

Also, a re-release of "Popeye Meets Ali Baba" and "Popeye Meets Sinbad the Sailor" from those restored negatives!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 09, 2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll kill the wabbit! Awise storm! North wind bwow! South wind bwow! Huwwicanes! Typhoons! Earthquakes! Smog!

Excellent choice Osi!

Super-8 really need more Elmer Fudd. For some reason Derann is very heavy in Yosemite Sam, which came later. Elmer is just so delightfully clueless!

Some I'd like:

"Falling Hare" Bugs fights a gremlin trying to wreck a plane

-plus the one where bugs drops that immense steel tank on that tyrannical construction foreman (I'm a feelin'...mighty low!)

Something I almost forbid: No "Casper the Friendly Ghost" at all!

These were cartoons completely free from violence: What's the point!!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2009 01:38 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest, we vote the films on Osis list - sounds great! Please hold back further suggestions until we're through with Osis list!
The suggested cartoons can all be watched on Youtube.
Happy viewing!

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2009 04:10 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks as if I will start the voting. Here is my ranking:

1# What's Opera, Doc?
2# The Sunshine Makers
3# Tell tale Heart
4# Fresh Vegetable Mystery

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love this Pixar short on super 8.........

Walt Disney Presto

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2009 08:10 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for The Cat Came Back....(Canadian Film Board)
I sold my 16mm mint print a couple years ago and wish I hadn't. One of the best animations ever...check it out on YouTube.

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2009 12:35 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Chris and Craig:
The point of this is to rank the above listed four cartoons Osi suggested. Please do not bring new suggestions in now. It will get too complicated.

I will open a new topic where everybody can suggest the cartoons he'd like to see on Super8. In this way, we could create sort of a reservoir of titles from which we later destill a list of the most wanted cartoons.

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2009 03:13 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make this easier, I just linked the titles of the cartoons in question with youtube; so everyone: just klick, watch - and vote!
What's Opera, Doc?
Tell tale Heart
Sunshine Makers
Fresh Vegetable Mystery

I will do the counting and calculating to sort the winner out...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 05:46 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know "Tell Tale Heart" was released on super 8 in the 70's. I see prints pop up on E-bay now and then. I think "What's Opera Dock" may be on super 8 as well.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 13, 2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your riht, "Tell tale Heart" was released. I have a standard 8mm B/W sound edition, but I'd love to see spomeone get ahold of the 3D version of this. It was specifically shot for 3D, it would look absolutely amazing!

To my knowledge, "What's Opera Doc" has not been released, unless Technofilms in Italy released it, but i have never seen any show up anywhere of this title.

Fresh vegetable Mystery also made it onto Super 8, but the prints were taken from a badly faded negative, (as it appears all prints on VHS and DVD suffer the same color fate. There is a movement to completely restore all the Max Fleischer color cartoons and one would hope that a restored version of this truly unigue and imaginative cartoon could be re-released on Super 8.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC