8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » smallformat and schmalfilm magazines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: smallformat and schmalfilm magazines
Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear friends of the former smallformat magazine,

the last issue of smallformat no. 6/2008 has been shipped some weeks ago and you will have received it by now.

Some of you have been interested to subscribe to schmalfilm afterwards. Here is the newest issue 1/2009:

-

Inside there is an interview with the designer of the famous Carena Standard 8 camera from the principality of Liechtenstein. Furthermore a description of re-building the Pentaflex 16 for Super 16 and an article about the US filmmakers Sherry Millner and Ernest Larsen who worked with two projectors in one screening. All in German language of course...

If you are interested in a subscription, this is Euro 73.20 for six issues per year. Please let me know your e-mail address and your full postal address in a pm.

|  IP: Logged

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Juergen,
Perhaps this has been covered elsewhere, but I was surprised at how Small Format finally perished, while Schmalfilm seems to be doing fine! Logic would dictate that a magazine in english would have a global audience, while a german one would be limited to a much smaller language group. I can only conclude that there´s a tremendous amount of film enthusiasts in germany, austria, switzerland, etc. [Roll Eyes]

Something just struck me, and perhaps this has also already been thought of: All it would take really, for "Small Format" to survive, at least for the members of this forum, would be that everyone who´s interested (regardless of knowledge of german) would subscribe to schmalfilm, and those of us who know both languages could translate for them! [Smile] This text could easily be e-mailed to the Forum members who wanted it. So you would have a magazine in german, with lovely illustrations, photos and all, and just the english text for whatever article you wanted to read. [Smile] Surely there must be quite a few Forum members who are proficcient in both languages!

Cheers
Lars

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2009 03:11 PM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Lars,

your idea was my idea - four years ago. I thought there must be the same amount of Super 8 and 16mm enthusiasts around the world like we have in Germany. But this did not come into being. The English issue did not get half of the amount of the German readers. I do not know why.

In Germany we have the situation that 70% of our readers are 55-85 years old (Super 8/Single 8/8mm/16mm filmmakers from the very beginning) and 30% are more or less new readers, 35-45 years old (filmmakers knwoing Super 8 or 16mm from their youth, now earning enough money to start this hobby again).

I hope some of the forum's members are still interested in the German issue.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC