8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How do you stack your films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How do you stack your films
Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2009 12:39 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Roy Neil
Your boxes are more than fantastic. Especially the Jaws box… really funny. Thumbs up.

|  IP: Logged

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2009 05:05 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Your collection is great. It is very tight, clean very well presented. The custom artworks are wonderful and the boxes lined up like a big and expensive store’s shopping window. Great job. Beautiful result.
I have a few questions for you.
I saw a film of Pink Floyd (I am a big fan) named ‘Another brick in the wall”. Is the song promo short by Derann or something else? I need to know!
About the boxes you use. I believe that those boxes are the best for storing the films. Are those boxes new? If they are new where I can find some for me?
Keep up the good work!
Thanking you in advance,

Antonis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 18, 2009 05:55 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roy,

Good work with those boxes.

My question, did you print or use ink to writ the title in the box?

I am asking this because yesterday I was in an exhibition and saw an engrave machine connected with computer. SO once you have a file (any picture file) the machine will engrave in any kind of surface, e.g metal, wood, plywood, etc, according o the picture file.

So basically, if we have an artwork of particular film, we can engrave in that box too !! Isn't that nicer??

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2009 10:19 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bought some guys collection of like 500 films as a whole, didn't know where to put it, so I shoved it in this bookcase
 -
theres actually another level covered up by generic clothespile

and the 35 and crap goes in the spacious walk in robe.
 -

small photos... big mess.

[ April 29, 2010, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Damien Taylor ]

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonis, how are you? I hope all is right there.
Thanks for your compliments. I will post soon some new pictures (there are now two new display units next to the main one).

So, yes, the Pink Floyd promo you are referring to is the Derann release. Just let me have your PM and I will happy to supply you this cover (that has proper size to be stick on a 200 ft white cardboard box too). As I wrote in one of my previous post, a friend of mine make these artworks for me.

About clamshell boxes: a lot of collectors don't love them. It seems the films don't 'breath' but in 30 years I've been spending by collecting super 8 movies, all titles I have stored in plastic boxes like those ones are still excellent. That's why I'm going on this way.
They are not produced anymore, of course. But it's quite easy to find shorts printed in Italy (TECHNO FILM, e.g.) during the 70's-early 80's who were supplied in those boxes. I normally buy these old prints (used and at a very cheap price, of course), remount them on big reels (or give them as a present to other collectors who should be interested) and use the original clamshall ones for new releases (trailers, shorts, excerpts). That's it. Take care and thanks once more for asking. [Wink]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 19, 2009 07:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonis and Gian,

For those clamshell box type, rather than to buy ex film which is usually has a price, just buy ex reel to reel tape those are priced for nothing.

The 200" reel to reel tape (1/4 inch) is exactly the same size with 200" feet reel film.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the tip Winbert.
But this tip confused me a little bit. I have a reel to reel player and I have a lot of tapes original productions and blanks. I know that the sizes are exactly the same but I have never seen a reel to reel clamshell plastic box. Only on cardboard. I will check again on EBay. Hope to find any.
Thank you once more
Antonis

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New display units for my movies and some of my projectors.
Two small 'wings' aside the main one:

-

The following picture is a little better (maybe!):

-

Right side of the main unit (boxes have been created by Mr. Luigi Petrin):

-

Left one:

-

Right wing unit where some Disney shorts, trailers and some of my Elmo are stored:

-

In detail...

-

Some artworks for my trailers are still missing. Waiting for them (creator is Mr. Marco Ottaviani).

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2009 10:49 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damien, nice collection. If you want to off load any of your collection, be sure to let me know, there are always titles I'm after in Super 8.

David

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 20, 2009 08:11 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonis,

quote:
but I have never seen a reel to reel clamshell plastic box.
In my home country (Indonesia) many blank tapes (reel to reel) were homed in clamshell type. Mostly the brands were "Phillips" (Holland). Please try Ebay.de or Ebay.nl

There were also 200" feet (8mm film length) size reel to reel pre-recorded tape but mostly education/language course tapes.

Antonis, there is another tip that you can make those old clamshell plastics become shiner once they have dull surface. Take car wax and clean the surface like you do with your car paint. It will become like new look again!!

I am always happy when look an 8mm film sitting in just printed artworks houses in a new look clamshell
cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 09:47 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian Luca Mario Loncrini. You are the KING!
This is a masterpiece. It is the most beautiful presentation I have ever seen. Now words are very poor... don't you think?
B R A V O ! Belisimo!

About the Pink Floyd artwork thank you very much for the offer. No need to post me one. BUT we can trade our custom artworks with mail. For examle I can sent you .jpg (photo) or .ncd (Nero Cover Designer) files. I have made a very nice with Scrat (Ice age) for 200' reel plastic clamshell case.
Thank you and for ones more bravo for your films presentation.
Antonis

neonlights32 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 10:23 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually David, as it is, I'm not sure if I want to keep collecting 8mm, or just stick to 16/35. I answered the ad in the paper and saw this guys collection, I just had to have it [Roll Eyes] LSS, I'll shoot you some unwanted titles, doubles etc...

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Gianluca! From your display system I see you also colect Goldrake reels. Have you got any of these youmay want to part from or double ones you'd like to exchange (I have a few doubles...).
If ineterested let me know at

maurizio_dicintio at fastwebnet dot it

--------------------
Maurizio

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 05:55 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonis. Thanks once more for all compliments. I will mail you right away the cover that was expecially created for that Derann promo. It will be a pleasure to supply it to you. It's a jpg file already sized: you just have to print the way it is.

Maurizio, I'm so honoured I was contacted by you. I will mail you in a couple of minutes. Thanks for you interest, anyway.
CIAO.

--------------------

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2010 10:58 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question, did you print or use ink to writ the title in the box?

Yikes !

Im only about 6 months late answering this post - my apologies

I used an Epilog Laser to cut the plywood. The artwork I created using a CAD system ( for the individual pieces to create the slip cases ) and I used InkScape in order to create the additional artwork engraved on the sides.

I took digital artwork ( scanned movie posters ) and recreated the movie titles using spline-based outlines. The Epilog Laser will accept either vector or raster based artwork. Raster based artwork ( photos, etc ) are 'scanned/etched' into the material much the same way an inkjet printer 'scans' an image onto paper. Vector based artwork ( squares, circles, spline based lines, etc) are used as lines that are 'cut' using the laser. The Laser has power settings for both Raster and Vector operations, in order to tune the cutting or etching force to the material. In this instance I used a very low power setting to 'cut' the spline based artwork into the material. So the net result is those lines are about a 1/8" deep in the material, and no ink was used on the boxes at all.

I have gotten a few requests to make these available for sale - Im looking into the production details. I can 'probably' offer them in plastic ( acrylic ) or wood ( birch ply as in photos ) I have a few different designs available for the inner box, and I can provide artwork as needed or use customer supplied artwork.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2010 12:32 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you are done with the "production details" please inform us with some photos and prices.
Thank you
Antonis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 02, 2010 07:03 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I used an Epilog Laser to cut the plywood. The artwork I created using a CAD system ( for the individual pieces to create the slip cases ) and I used InkScape in order to create the additional artwork engraved on the sides.

Hi Roy, that is exactly what I saw in the exhibition and I mentioned on my above posting you referred. That is a sort of a laser engraver (to be used in a hard surface).

Good!

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2010 08:42 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy...Beautiful job on the boxes (and the film cleaner!) You are a genuine craftsman [Smile]

Bill

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2010 07:29 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug....What are the racks that you have your 200'ers on? I've tried wire DVD racks and theyre too slim in depth. Film slip off and fall to the floor unless I put the rack up against a wall. Winbert....When does your shop open? You've got a veritable Film Store. Good Lord....You fellas have me beat! Whew! Winbert... Where and how do you stack/store your features? I only see digests. I searched IKEA for "Billy" shelves and they appear to be standard pressed-wood bookcases unless the pictures don't tell the whole story.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 06, 2010 08:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I can't find the same type online, but they look very similar to this. It's 40" high and the slots are 3/4" wide.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2010 08:39 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil Johnson uses old paperback book spinners from years ago and the 200'ers fit in them perfectly. I have an uncle who once owned a bookstore, but dumped all the fixtures when he retired. Retailers often get calendar fixtures they sometimes discard, but they've all been too wide or too deep for both my 8mm and 16mm goodies. Most of my babies are on wire 4-shelf rolling racks (the type you see in medical supply rooms) that I bought at BJ's a few years ago, but now I'm actually keeping the 16mm stuff in hat boxes I bought from TJ MAX. The reels fit perfectly in these boxes which come in various sizes. The caveat, is the graphic art on the boxes themselves in no way leverage any support (asthetically speaking) to a film library if you get my drift. It's hard finding hat boxes that don't have a feminine motif to the artwork that covers them. In addition, there's a weight limit before the bottom gives out and your merch is all over the floor.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 06, 2010 09:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For my 200 footers I use a CD/DVD rack. Please don't take this as a reccomendation though: given the least excuse I get a cascade of films on the floor.

-Someday this rack will become what it's best suited for: firewood.

Single 400 and 600 Footers go on bookshelves.

Everything gets stacked vertically except boxed features (because the covers need gravity to stay on...) When I store a feature with the last reel only partially full I store that with reel "1" at the bottom and the last reel on top because the weight of the other reels on the partially full one would warp that reel's flanges.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 07, 2010 01:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert... Where and how do you stack/store your features? I only see digests.
Brad, I don't have full feature (or I do have 1-2 titles. I enjoy digest which for me is the nature of 8mm (+ their art boxes) . [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 11, 2013 09:37 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[bump]....please continue

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2013 09:55 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Here's how I've stacked it, temporarily, I am working on getting reels and boxes for it all, and will be sorting new artwork for pretty much everything. All the 3x400 and 2x600 featurettes are going on 1x1200' reels once the ST-1200 arrives and I get enough reels for it [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC